What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large Unknown Projectile - Calibre 171 mm

Andy Naude

Could you please help with the identification of this item?

Calibre: 171 mm

What type of ammunition was this?

Was there an original colour code?

What do the markings mean?

Would it have been a two piece i.e. Was there a brass case that was used or was it a bag of propellant?

IMG_5204.jpg

IMG_5203.jpg

Looking forward to the response.

It is probably a 7" RML round.

If you can measure the item accurately and weigh it and post a picture of the base it should be possible to identify the type of round.

This would be for a rifled muzzle loading gun. so no case would be used. The propellant would be rammed first followed by the shell.

I think there is a 7" RML gun on display in Cape Town.

Looks like a 7" Pallister shell.

Precise measurements would help.

Having the plug in place in the base is a bad sign. It may still be full of explosive.

I strongly suggest you do not move it and call your local EOD and get them to look at it.

Definitely an 1878 dated MkIII 7 inch Palliser shell. As mentioned the plug is still in place and unless it has been drilled, could contain 2.5lbs of black powder, though they were more often never filled - Either way as mentioned best to get it checked out.