What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest addition - Maxim-Nordenfelt 1895 machinegun

super7

I know, not ordnance related but nevertheless pleased as punch with this new addition.

Managed to add to the collection an in mint condition and full working order Argentine Maxim-Nordenfelt machinegun with brass water jacket
(for the record: Class III permit present). All matching numbers, appears to have been hardly used and in original condition. Brass water jacket
retains a nice untouched patina and all metal parts and internals have their original blue finish. Serial number suggests it has been made in 1895
as part of the first batch of 50 delivered to Argentina in 1895 (source: The Devil's Paintbrush - Sir Hiram Maxim's Gun by Dolf L. Goldsmith).

Gun appears to be complete accept for the most obvious: its tripod. Also hope to find the other related paraphernalia such as a front sight insert,
muzzle protection cap, an optical scope, canvas ammo belt & box, belt loader and condenser tubing. But first goal is of course that missing tripod.
I am sure finding an original Acland tripod for this gun will not be easy or simply impossible so if anybody has some suggestions with regard a
useable replacement (early Vickers?) then please let me know.

Have seen some Vickers tripods for sale in the US but shipping costs makes purchase unattractive. I’m also looking for a Vickers transit chest but
need to find one closer to home for the same reason (or make one myself). Tips regarding these and the other missing items are most welcome.

Regards, Jan

Enclosed a picture of my Maxim:

Regards, Jan

Attachments

• DSC02862a.jpg
    DSC02862a.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Sweeeeet!
If you haven't already checked, these folks : http://www.ima-usa.com/ have a lot of that sort of stuff.
Also, a trip to Knob Creek during one of their shoots would be in order. Somebody will have what you need or know someone who does.

I’m also looking for a Vickers transit chest but
need to find one closer to home for the same reason (or make one myself).
Found one an hour's drive from my home. Appears to be an Australian one with fortunately all the hardwood fittings still in place (probably dates from 1942).

Regards. Jan

Last edited:
What calibre is this gun chambered in?

Can you legally fire it in the Netherlands?

Calibre is 7.65 x 53 Argentine/Belgium Mauser. It is a collectors gun and although it is in full working order you are not allow to shoot it. And for the record: no shooting club in our country will allow the use of a full automatic weapon on their range.

Regards, Jan

A real pity. How about you take it out in a boat 6 miles or whatever the legal distance from shore and spend a few weeks wages aiming at a barrel? Or would they get you for having an armed war ship?

Calibre is 7.65 x 53 Argentine/Belgium Mauser. It is a collectors gun and although it is in full working order you are not allow to shoot it. And for the record: no shooting club in our country will allow the use of a full automatic weapon on their range.

Regards, Jan

That's a shame.It's a bit like having a rare classic car and not being allowed to run the engine or drive it.

That's a shame.It's a bit like having a rare classic car and not being allowed to run the engine or drive it.
Know what you mean but it is matter of choice: have a collectors licence and own a Maxim or not collect at all :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Regard, Jan