What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LAW 66mm tubes

Nismosonic

Does anyone know the standing in the UK if these launcher tubes are legal ? A friend of mine has just been given 22 of these tubes, I think they are the Norway made ones, they are designated M72A3 and M72A4. Would these be for British Army use ?
They are the tubes only, no rocket and no explosive material.
I have an M72A2 tube that ive had for about 7 years, but mine has a blockage in the tube and a deact cert.
Any help would be great as he doesnt know what to do with them, the person who gave them to him used to run a surplus store, but never sold them, he says they are legal to own, and dont need a deact cert.

Some constabularies get very excited about these. The launcher fits the definition under the Firearms Act. As you know these are 'one use only' and refills are not available (to all intents and purposes) therefore common sense should prevail and it should not be considered one. After all, there are numerous fully functioning (ex) Sec. 1 Firearms one can legally own without an FAC, as they are considered to be obsolete calibres but the ammunition is readily and legally available.

Safest course of action is to consult the local Firearms Licensing Officer.

Regards

TimG.

If you do manage to sort it out, and they are infact legal, would he be selling them? I would be very interested in one.

I have just rang him, he is going to speak to his local police officer.. if it turns out they are legal to own he is going to offer them for sale, but sadly as a job lot of 20. (he is keeping one and giving one to me). Im going to have a look at them over the weekend see what condition they are in, he has informed me a lot are missing there webing and end caps and most are broken.

A TA friend of mine found a sectioned one in a skip (dumpster) outside of another TA regiments training hall, they can't be that illegal :D He offered to give it to me but I was of told it was an illegal weapon under the act so I reluctantly declined, I told him to get rid of it PDQ. He did, he gave to another poor schelp to take the rap :D

Nismosonic,

are all the markings in yellow? Any placed inside a red square/label?

It probably is that they all were yellow cause come to think about the M72's and some A1's (not many) they had the insructuons on a red label.