What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leach Catapult

Gspragge

Premium Member
Does any one know where I can find an example with the firing/release mechanism and the rubber cords and grenade pocket intact. I need real images and measurements to restore the monster I have. Does any one know any one at the I.W.M. could they help ? I have patent drawings, but not technical drawings ~

I found a marking, MK III stamped into it.

Top line is I'm sure; A W Gamage Ld
Middle line - I'm not sure -
Bottom (Patent) Protected

Attachments

• IMG_7946.jpg
    IMG_7946.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7945.jpg
    IMG_7945.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7942.jpg
    IMG_7942.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7949.jpg
    IMG_7949.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7943.jpg
    IMG_7943.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Leach Catapult Release / Trigger

This is the trigger and catch mechanism.

If you have dug one up or have one of these lying about let me know ! :tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Attachments

• cartoon 1.jpg
    cartoon 1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 35
  • release 1.jpg
    release 1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 31
You might drop a note to

[FONT=&quot]jean.cumming at usma.edu[/FONT] replace "at" w/ @

Who is assistant to the curator at the museum at West Point. She is very helpful and could probably check the inventory to see if they happen to have one of these beasts (you might check on the mortar too). If they do have things of interest, I can arrange to get over there and get some photos.

Long shot, frankly, but who knows.

Here is one on a pair of legs

Courtesey of BOCN member;
Likely Australians
Also shown is a Lee Enfield on a device to enable it to fire over the trench top.
Bonnex;
At the base of one of the legs is an Australian 'Garland' grenade with (probably) its launcher, like a mortar, close by.

Attachments

• CYCLISTS.jpg
    CYCLISTS.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 33
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamages"]Gamages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Don't know if it is useful information.

Proper Images

I got it outside in good light finally. Too bad Gamage's closed in 1972, They might have had bits left over - So far as I know the I.W.M. has one of these ( I hope complete) , The Canadian War Museum has two (with trigger assy, but no rubber assembleys) and I have one. These may be the only ones left? In a Former life I had a West Spring Gun, that monster now resides at the Liberty Memorial Museum in Kansas City, it may be the only one.

Attached instructons courtesy Bonnex

Attachments

• LeachCatapult-1.jpg
    LeachCatapult-1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 30
  • LeachCatapult-2.jpg
    LeachCatapult-2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 25
  • Page 1.jpg
    Page 1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Page 2.jpg
    Page 2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Page 3.jpg
    Page 3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 28
You could go crazy over this but you might try to see if you can find out where their manufacturies were during WW1. The bits and bobs might be there still. Long shot.