What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lead bullet ID

justin

Premium Member
Does anyone recognise this type of bullet? It is heeled, indicating the weapon that fired it was originally a muzzle loader but later converted to breech loader, with a cartridge.
Diameter .370 inches (9.39mm)
Weight 129 grains
Shown with a 9mm cartridge in the third photo, for scale.

IMG_5368.jpgIMG_5369.jpgIMG_5377.jpg

Looks like a paper patch bullet. The paper tube would fit over the bottom of the bullet and be tied off with fine string to hold it in place and the tube and bullet turned upside down and filled with powder and either tied off again or folded flat and tucked back towards the bullet head. More and likely fired from a percussion gun. When loading the bottom of the cartridge would be bitten off or opened and powder poured down barrel and the bullet with paper tube attached rammed down barrel.

Thanks for the answer. I think the weapon that fired this, either a revolver or small calibre rifle was initially a muzzle loaded weapon and perhaps the bullet for that weapon might have been patched. However, the bullet in question here has a recessed base (the heel) seemingly for fitting into a case (when the weapon was converted to breach loading) and a deep cannelure to accept lubricant. The patch and lubricant cannelure do the same job, so it would seem unnecessary to have both, perhaps. All speculation, of course, until I can find a positive match somewhere.

Difficult to be precise without dimensions.. If it is around .45 It might be a bullet for a Sharps rifle which had a paper cartridge from which the base sheared off by the closing breech block. I suspect however these are what is known as a "heeled" bullet where the reduced diameter fitted into the mouth of the case and the sides were chamber diameter. The .310 Cadet has a heeled bullet as of course does the ubiquitous .22RF

that does not look like a heeled bullet for a brass case, the groove above the reduced diameter is not how a heeled bullet looks, at least none I've seen.