What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lead Nose cone ID

Falcon

I picked this up at the boot sale this morning. From the markings it is obviously American of origin and from a piece of naval ordnance (the MOD.2 marking gives that away).

It is a single cast piece of lead with a thread on the base.

The measurements are:

Length 93.3mm (9.675")

Width (at widest point): 58.4mm (2.3")

Thread: Dia 53.35mm (2.1") x 14 TPI

The markings are:

[R in Circle] 2.25 BODY MK.-3 MOD.2 DWG.439208 LOT#43

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• nosecone.jpg
    nosecone.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 33
Lead !

Falcon, nice find!
Not wishing to doubt a fellow engineer but made of "Lead" ?
Lead is so soft that it is not a very durable material unlike materials such as "Maizac" metal which would have been the more usual choice for noses etc as it is so much harder and retains the same sort of weight along with it still being a very cheap material.

Thanks Rick, that confirms what it is. I haven't seen Birdseye post in ages. Is he still on here?

It may well be maizac as it seems like it is alot harder than lead.

Maizac ?

Thanks Rick, that confirms what it is. I haven't seen Birdseye post in ages. Is he still on here?

It may well be maizac as it seems like it is alot harder than lead.

Falcon the corrosion also leads me to think it is "Maizac" as it has a "powdery" look about it.
Pb gets to form a powder which is toxic (Lead Stannate if memory serves me correctlyl) but Maizac is nowhere near so bad.
Still a very unusual item and I expect rare on these shores-be nice if you could get the rest of it ?

Last edited:
What you have is a rocket head from a 2.25" practice rocket.

Attachments

• 2,25 inch.jpg
    2,25 inch.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 2,25 inch a.jpg
    2,25 inch a.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 22