What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live Depth Charge Extender?

zwerge

I got this picture off of another forum,the man said he recovered it on a dive of an ASW trawler. He said it is quite heavy and could it be alive.Another poster said it could have 3 pounds of TNT inside,any opinions? Is that what this is ?

Attachments

• TNT.jpg
    TNT.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 156
That isn't one of those WWI anti-sub bombs that was hand-thrown from the deck of a ship is it? I think I have a book describing this thing; I'll see if I can find it.

That isn't one of those WWI anti-sub bombs that was hand-thrown from the deck of a ship is it? I think I have a book describing this thing; I'll see if I can find it.
Hi Berdan III, it was identified as being live and is being turned in for disposal.I think it was from a MK6 depth charge.

I was waaaaay off on this one. I was thinking of the Lance Bomb, which turns out to have been a 7-pound warhead on a four-foot handle. The idea was to come alongside a surfaced or diving submarine and throw the bomb at the sub. Not very high tech, even for WWI.

So was it the hydrostatic pistol and booster?

It was the booster,not the booster extender.

Attachments

• CHAPTER-14-FIGURE-14B4-PAGE-331.jpg
    CHAPTER-14-FIGURE-14B4-PAGE-331.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 55
OP 1665, British Ordnance;

Your teardrop shaped D.C. is a US Mk. 9, your item is not from it.
It is possible that your item is:
D.C. 450 lb. Bomb, Mk. VII
Regards,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Help I hope for you

What you have is a MK7 Depth Charge Primer (British), wow I've just joined tonight and already hopefully contributing. I am just now into DC's and finding out about them, have seen several like this recovered with stamped ID just as I describe..I believe that this bit of kit arms the depth charge just prior to it going into the water, what is inside I am not sure yet could be a spring to push the booster charge up into reach of the hydrostsiv pistol or

it contains within itself explosives..I am learning too but 100% sure on my ID..I have pictures showing stamped IG...and more
Rgds
DT

DT,

Your images would be of great interest. Where do you source your info on British depth charges? as a rule any information on Royal Naval ordnance is hard to find.

Regards

TimG

My photos are of actual recoveries was stamped Primer DC MK V11 - WB Ltd, this one is still wet so recent is the find!!! When I learn how to post pics hopefully can show some things.