What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live mortar

the photo does show a practice bomb ,it may not be the actual item dealt with ,and could just be a press stock photo.

Yes, but apparently is the propulsive cartridge complete and thus is the projectile alive.
The complete loading must be looked on, not only the explosive effect payload.

Yoda

The propellant cartridge when separate from the mortar is not illegal to own. It is simply a blank shotgun cartridge.

True Falcon
Obviously/one assumes the buyer knew nothing about ordnance, the law, live/inert etc & instead of ignoring it or worse still messing with it took the safe & sensible route.
I am sure there are some of us here would have seen/dealt with it differently.
A pity that this item has probably been destroyed but there you go.

And as Spotter has already pointed out the photo may not be of the actual mortar found,I would have thought that the photo would almost certainly not have been of the mortar in question,unless EOD now let the press photo ordnance that they are dealing with?

Tony

Just to prevent any rumours about the owner, no it wasn't me. I'll have to try and find him though. :D