What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lol ID on just one more shell:P

Hey all,

i need some help on one more shell of mine:p its a 47mm 3 pdr i think hotchkiss round maybe? there are quite a few markings here so take your time on the pics:p
SAM_1367.jpgSAM_1368.jpgSAM_1369.jpgSAM_1370.jpgSAM_1376.jpgSAM_1381.jpgSAM_1383.jpgSAM_1384.jpglength of the projectile is about 134mm but would probablty a little longer because it was drilled to make a lamp. the case length is 375mm, rim is 63.5mm, mouth is about 50mm. hope this helps:p
thanks guys:)
Dustin
ps, dont mind that other attachemnt pic, its a mistake.

Attachments

• SAM_1371.jpg
    SAM_1371.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 40
Looks like a standard 3 Pdr case with projectile, although your projectile is shorter than most I've seen. It has a characteristic Nordenfelt design rotating band. Nordenfelt manufactured projectiles usually have a N stamped in the body, but they were made in the late 1800s, then as companies got sold, the new manufacturers kept the design but didn't stamp the N on the projo. So, your case primer is marked VSM, Vickers and Sons/Maxim. I believe Vickers was the final company to make these and their own private design version, which was a longer case.

Last edited:
Dustin,

B - denotes the manufacturer, Birmingham Metals and Munuitions, Adderley Park Rolling Mills, Birmingham, England
CF - denotes the case life history - one full charge of cordite or kindred
N - denotes a naval store
H - denotes the case head was formed by hammer
1918 - year of manufacture

Primer
No. 2 primer
VSM - manufactured by Vickers, sons and Maxim
N - denotes naval store

Regards

TimG