What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a diagram of a 10,5 cm l.f.h. round assembly

WWIIBuff

I recently acquired a carring case and six shells for the German 10,5 cm light field howitzer. I am an ordnance newbie, so I am not understanding how the short 10,5 cm shells would pack enough explosive to launch a large projectile. Does anyone have, or know of, a place I can find a diagram showing how the projectile was assembled and all the parts it consisted of?

Pictures of the assembled rounds in the field or in use would be great too.

Thanks

John

John

Welcome to the forum.
All Howitzer type guns use a small charge as it just has to get the projectile from A to B. The velocity is not an issue when it gets to the target.

Some pictures would be nice to see please and it helps to get the interest going.

I hope the diagrams will help.

Attachments

• Copy of Scannen0085(1).jpg
    Copy of Scannen0085(1).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Copy of Scannen0086(1).jpg
    Copy of Scannen0086(1).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 74
Thank you for your reply and the great diagrams. I did not realize such a short shell and charge could be so effective. Here is the item in my collection that prompted me to ask this question:

1823 (9) web.jpg

It is the same when you look at the WW1 21cm Mrser. The case is as tall as it is wide.

I found some pictures that came from expired auction sales. I could be wrong but I think there are all 10.5cm.

Attachments

• 10.5cm [1].JPG
    10.5cm [1].JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 10.5cm [2].jpg
    10.5cm [2].jpg
    83 KB · Views: 48
  • 10.5cm [3].jpg
    10.5cm [3].jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 10.5cm [4].jpg
    10.5cm [4].jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 41
There also exist additional charge containers for 10,5cm l.F.H.18 ( the same with 15cm s.F.H.18 ). I have no ammunition tables on hands now but assume the additional charges were used for firing to even more remoted targets. The additional charges were stuffed in chamber between the shell and case packed charge.