What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a tax exempt diesel Land Rover

Falcon

Basically what the title says.

I am looking for a tax exempt (pre-1973) diesel Land Rover.

Does anyone know of one for sale anywhere?

Does anyone here have any experience with these old Land Rovers?

I know full well that a vehicle this age may need some work, which is to be expected.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Hi Falcon,
I used to have a swb 65 series 2A and loved it it leaked and rattled and was the thirstiest beast with the least performance I have ever had the displeasure to drive it was a 2 and a quater perkins petrol. I think you would do well to get one that has had a modern diesel lump dropped into it and a decent gearbox as well as the overdrive on the original is rather difficult to repair when it breaks and for the life of me could never really work out what it did anyway. Should never have strayed however fleetingly from the VW fold.
Best regards Weasel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.

I have been warned off petrol for the reason that they are very expensive to run.

I have seen some with modren diesel engines in for sale but that's where they seem to start getting alot more expensive.

Insurance is also a problem, the cheapest quote I got was 1900. Unless I can find cheaper insurance I may drop the idea altogether.

I am really surprised at the cost of insurance i know i am really old but mine was 84 a year fully comp through a farmers union insurance. If you do consider doing it then it would be an idea to buy a petrol one and find a smashed up Toyota land cruiser or similar and take the engine and gearbox from that i know you are capable of doing the work.
Best Weasel.

my experience of the old 2 1/4 diesel and petrol Land Rovers were that fuel economy was no different between the two,the diesel was gutless,slow and a sod to start in really cold weather and sooooo noisey.
Weasel is spot on with the 2.5 engine in these early ones but make sure a diesel tank has been fitted as opposed to a fuel return pipe brazed into a petrol tank(the lacquer inside the tank re-acts to diesel and turns to sludge),the best gearbox? without a doubt the series IIA box,its bullet proof and you soon get used to it being a crash box!
One tip if you want to change the engine over yourself,get a 2.5 out of a freight rover van(only need to change the sump) so much cheaper and easier to find than looking for a scrap 2.5 diesel engined Land Rover.

Tony

The trouble with the changing the engine is finding somewhere to be able to do it. I asked at work before if I could take a day off and bring my car in to do some work on it. Work told me that they wouldn't allow it as I wouldn't be covered by their insurance. That is annoying as we have all the tools, inspection pits, overhead cranes etc.

I would also like to avoid modern engines as they have all the associated electronic systems with them, which make them far more complex and costly to repair. I also personally believe that they have built-in failures so that the car industry can sell more vehicles.

I have been told that diesel engines can be converted to run off chip fat. Some can also be run off a 50/50 mixture of diesel and new vegetable oil with no conversion. This supposedly gets around the same mileage as diesel and vegetable oil is only about 90p per litre in the supermarkets.

I have heard about the NFU insurance. Do you have to be a farmer or farm worker to be able to insure with them? I also live in a fairly urban area on the edge of London. Do they cover all postcodes?

Last edited: