What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for German P08 Steel Case hst: "cdp St 1 41"

Lewis

German brass case 9mm P08 rounds headstamped with the "cdp" code are known with 1940 and 1941 dates. I have never seen a lacquered steel case round with a cdp headstamp.

Over 30 years ago, I was sent an image (made on a copy machine) of a lacquered steel case round with a cdp headstamp which had turned up in the UK. My understanding at the time was that the round had been sold to a German collector. I was never able to identify the owner of this round.

cdp St 1 41 dwg.jpg

Most of the advanced German 9mm P08 collectors have passed on their collections including some in the last year or so. I was interested in learning if this round had turned up as these advanced collections changed hands or were broken up. I had no luck in Germany, but as I dug deeper, it turns out that the round didn't go to Germany, but to a collector in the UK.

This collector died in his bed about 10 years ago. He had a substantial collection of inert items, but when the police arrived, they also found he had live ammunition for which he had no permit.

If he still owned this cdp round, it was likely destroyed by the police.

Since he was basically a collector of larger caliber items, it is also possible he sold or traded this item over the past 30+ years.

Has anyone seen this round or perhaps have it in their collection! If so, please let me know.

This appears to be a production item. If so it may have come to the UK as part of a 16 round box, or even a case of these rounds. It seems likely that there are more of these rounds in the UK.

I would appreciate those who have a batch of 9mm lacquered steel case rounds lying around taking a quick look for one (or more) with a cdp headstamp. After all, a partial box of German WWI (1917) copper washed steel case P08 field trial rounds by Cassel turned up about 2 years ago in some old shooting stuff left in a gun club. Prior to that only two of these rounds were known to exist!!! You never know until you look.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,
Lew