What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

looking for some help !!!!

bazooka chris

Hi everybody i am looking for some help.

I am going up to lincoln this weekend for a cousins wedding and i am looking for some places to visit around the area.
I am planning on going to the newark air museum, anybody know of any other places to visit ?
Also are people able to go and view the battle of britain memorial flight in there hangers ? hopefully if there are some members in the area you can let me know all the interesting places to go cheers.

from bazooka chris

Hi Chris,

the Catherderal is a pretty good place to start, there is a memorial to RAF Bomber Command inside.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Never even gave it a thought about the cathedral dont know why as its not like i can miss it sat up there on the hill lol were going in to the city center anyway so can go take a walk up there cheers

anybody got any more ? as were up there for a few days so got time to see a few places

from bazooka chris

Hi Chris,

Check first with the Battle of Britain memorial flight as at this time of year the Lanc etc can be out on display circuit. May work in your favour though as you may see it take off. There are guided tours of the hangers and you can see Hurricane, Spitfires, Dakota and of course the Lancaster bomber up close - would recommend the tour.

Not too far away is East Kirkby Museum, it too has a Lancaster, they do taxi runs with this one. The museum has a lot of aircraft relics from digs, also some nice exhibits also, well worth a look.

Lincolnshire Life museum has amongst its exhibits a First World War Tank, this was built in Lincoln itself. This museum is located near to the Cathederal.

regards Kev

thanks kev

i will start googling them and have a look, which do you thinks best the East Kirkby Museum or the newark air museum ? cheers.

from bazooka chris

The Cathedral is worth seeing in its own right. I believe the central tower is open to limited numbers on a Saturday - a great view from the top, and stunning mediaeval architecture on the way up. The nearby castle also deserves a visit, especially on a good day.

The Newark Air Museum is very good, and the extra 50p fee to climb into the Vulcan cockpit is a veritable bargain!

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) at RAF Coningsby is best visited weekdays, as then there is a good chance of most of the aircraft being present and not at displays. Guided tours of the Flight are every hour from the visitor centre, from 10:00 to 17:00.

A few miles further is the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage centre at East Kirkby. They have a Lanc. which is capable of taxi-ing, but not (yet) flying. You can also pay extra to go inside it, around 25, but worth it to say you've been in a Lanc. Make sure your camera is working.

At Woodhall Spa is the Dambusters Memorial, and the Petwood hotel, which was the 617 Squadron Officers Mess at one stage. Between Woodhall Spa and BBMF is a small museum at Thorpe Camp with an English Electric Lightning - its livery may be subconsciously familiar to some...

A few possibilities for things to see.

Tom.

Attachments

• Bomber Command Memorial, Ln Cathedral.jpg
    Bomber Command Memorial, Ln Cathedral.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Dambusters Memorial, Woodhall Spa.JPG
    Dambusters Memorial, Woodhall Spa.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 30
  • BBMF_1.jpg
    BBMF_1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 34
  • BBMF_2.JPG
    BBMF_2.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 34
  • BBMF_3.JPG
    BBMF_3.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 38
  • BBMF_4.JPG
    BBMF_4.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 33
  • BBMF_5.JPG
    BBMF_5.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 36
  • BBMF_6.JPG
    BBMF_6.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 36
  • EE Lightning.JPG
    EE Lightning.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 37
thanks kev

i will start googling them and have a look, which do you thinks best the East Kirkby Museum or the newark air museum ? cheers.

from bazooka chris

Hi Chris,

Not sure I'm in a position to answer this one as I haven't been to Newark air museum for quite some time. Visited East Kirkby on their airshow day last year and was impressed as to how much more was there since my previous visit. You can combine East Kirkby with the B.B.M.F. as they are both quite close together !

Wherever you choose to go and whatever you do I hope you have a great time in Lincolnshire.

Regards Kev

wow fantastic Tom

Thank you very much for taking the time to post pictures i think the bbmf looks great i have just googled the visitors center and good job i did as it says its closed at the weekends so will have to make sure i go on the way up on friday and will definalty have to go in the vulcan cockpit just about to google the east kirby one cheers.

from bazooka chris

Hi kev

How long roughly does it take to get to the bbmf area from lincoln ? and thanks yes i am sure we will have a good time in lincoln its been nearly 10 years since i last went so havnt seen most of my relatives in a long time.

from bazooka chris

Hi kev

How long roughly does it take to get to the bbmf area from lincoln ? and thanks yes i am sure we will have a good time in lincoln its been nearly 10 years since i last went so havnt seen most of my relatives in a long time.

from bazooka chris

Hi Chris,

Not too sure as I'm on the coast and do it the other way round. I would have thought to allow around 3/4 of an hour tops.

regards Kev

ok cheers

just been looking through the newark air museum site and it seems to be a lot better museum than the kirby one as the kirby one seem to be just pretty much the lancaster and a few other bits and bobs where as the newark one seems to have loads of aircraft and i am especially interested in the vulcan as i will hopefully be seeing the lancaster anyway when i go to the bbmf so might leave the kirby one but will make my mind up when i am at lincoln thanks for all your help everybody so has anything else been left out i maybe interested in ?

from bazooka chris

just had a result i was looking through the news section of the newark air museum site and it gives you a 50 pence discount off each persons entry when you quote a code when you pay :)

from bazooka chris

Hi Chris.
The Newark air museum is well worth a visit. I think most things have been covered in the thread except the Royal Lincolnshire Regimental Museum which is in side the Lincolnshire life museum which is free to enter. Lots of nice stuff in there. While in the LL museum go upstairs and near the Victorian Scool room exibit is a collection of all sorts of things donated to the museum. If you look carefully in one of the glass cabinets there is a nice selection of grenades!
Cheers, Paul.

Thanks paul

The lincolnshire life museum is that the one with the ww1 tank in it ? how far is it from the cathedral roughly, is it walking distance ?

from bazooka chris

Yes. the tank is there. It was restored by Rustons in the 80's i think and is in great condition except it has no engine.
The museum is about 5-10 minutes walk from the cathedral on Burton road.
Very easy to find.
Just behind the museum is a working windmill which can be visited on weekends Surprisingly it is on Mill road! They grind flour regularly and bread made from it tastes champion!

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited:
You could have a wander on the ranges at donner nook if you have time very interesting

Just an update on the Newark Air Museum, which I visited earlier this week for the first time, admission is £11. There are lots of aircraft on display and the place has a number of knowledgeable volunteers. The aim of the volunteers is to raise the quality of the display by refurbishing tired exhibits. I saw a couple of helicopter types that I hadn't seen close-up since the 1980s. There is a practice UPKEEP bomb in Hangar 2. The poignant bits for me are the stories of the young servicemen and women. Also of interest I loved the part fuselage of a Lancaster that was used as a garden shed for many years and the working planes that people built themselves. The NAM is well worth a visit.