What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M device

Only for Pete
whenever I want to answer your private message I receive this
"peteblight has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space".
can you send me your email address by PM
thanks
Jean Paul

@ Jean Paul - your email address won't allow me to send attachments.

For everyone - Here's some information and pictures regarding the M device Jean Paul spoke about.

The M device was a No 1 Mk I or Mk II toxic smoke generator filled with DM or DA. The generators were originally designed for placement on the ground 25-30 yards apart and in numbers of between 15,000 -20,000 per mile. When ignited they would emit a toxic smoke cloud lasting up to 30 minutes, which would drift with the wind and engulf the enemy. The arsenical compounds (DA and DM) would penetrate any gasmasks the enemy were wearing, either causing the wearer to vomit or force them to remove the mask entirely and risk exposure to more toxic chemical agents, should they be used. As soon as the discharge stopped the enemy would be attacked by infantry.
A large number of generators were deployed to Northern Russia to use against the Bolsheviks in 1919. However, the area of intended use was heavily wooded and as such, the effectiveness of the generators was limited. Over a number of days and multiple releases, it was discovered that the smoke would either not penetrate the wooded areas or rise above the trees and not affect the Bolshevik soldiers.
In order to overcome this problem, Major JH Davies applied for and was granted permission by the Commander-in-Chief Allied forces Archangel to modify the generators for delivery by air. The modification comprised of the fitment of a nose cap and a tail or vane to stabilise the generator as it fell. Two different tails were utilised depending on the height of delivery, either from 2500 or 5000 feet. The generators were ignited by hand and then dropped from the aircraft - The first air delivered chemical weapon.
The report submitted by Major Davies stated that; the canisters performed perfectly when delivered from the air, small concentrations and durations resulted in many casualties and the gas masks worn by the enemy were useless against the M device.

Picture 1 shows assembly of the M device

Picture 2 shows M devices loaded on an aircraft

Thanks to TimG for helping to locate these pictures.

Cheers

Pete

IMG_0167.jpgIMG_0149.jpgIMG_0153.jpgIMG_0155.jpgIMG_0159.jpgIMG_0157.jpgIMG_0161.jpgIMG_0163.jpgIMG_0169.jpg

Last edited: