What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M1 Chemical Pencil / Firing Device

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Here is an X-ray of the M1 Chemical Pencil with a white strip (not like you can see it). I love the fact you can see the wire running the length of the vial inside. I only have the white strip one, if I get more I will post the x-rays here. I want to try and get all the colors so I can compare wires in the different colors in the X-rays.

Joe

Attachments

• SubjID_33883 0D.jpg
    SubjID_33883 0D.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 87
  • SubjID_33883 90D.jpg
    SubjID_33883 90D.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 98
I was thinking the same thing, but I was wondering if there might be some differences in the wire. Either way, it would be interesting to see side by side.

Joe

I think it was the strength of the acid, not the metal but I check my files
Correct, and the fluid is copper chloride not acid. The technical explanation of the process is that when the iron wire, a non-precious metal, is submerged into the copper chloride, an electrochemical transfer of the copper particles is taking place. The copper will deposit on the iron wire and at the same time a corresponding amount of iron will be dissolved from the wire causing this to rapidly corrode and eventually break. The higher the concentration of copper chloride the faster it will corrode.
The chemical formula is: Fe + Cu2+ -> Fe2+ + Cu.

I am curious to know why these "Time Pencils" always seem to be crooked at least the vial part? Is there anything important as to why this was done?

Sounds good to me Alex! I just look at some and they can be really off center quite a bit.