What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M116 155-MM Colored Smoke

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Does anyone have any of the M116 155-MM Colored Smoke projectiles? I am looking for some good images of the different colors showing the outside markings for updating the EOD publication.

We have plenty of line drawings and internal configuration stuff from the TM's ... I would like to show the different marking sets for the different colors (red, yellow, green, HC, and violet).

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, my apologies for not seeing your post.

I have some info on your question that may either help or not. A few years back I bought three of the "Live smoke cannisters" from a now out of business. One was in red and another one was violet and the last one was yellow. When I had them in my hands so-to-speak the first thing I did was to research them and how they worked.

IIRC, the projectile contained 4 or 5 cannisters stacked one on top of the other in a neat stacked. They were fired off by black powder contained inside the projectile. The over pressure was too much for the shell and they came either flying out the front or base of the projectile. This, I think occurred in the base. I set them off with a little BP and a timed piece of string of timed fuse that you could get anywhere for launching model rockets.

Looking for a website on this subject I came across this site: http://www.collectorssource.com/artillery-shells-projectiles-and-grenades.html?limit=25