What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M14 Mine

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi. I recently picked up this M14. It has several chips, where someone has tried to open it. I'm thinking of turning it into a cutaway. Do these inert training mines have the same internal as the HE ones? Cheers

Attachments

• M14.jpg
    M14.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 51
It would all depend upon the particular inert trainer. Sometimes real mines are used and are just missing the explosive components. In the most extreme examples of inert materials, even the plastic used to make the dummy mine is colored blue, and the only moving part is the rotational arm/safe portion in the middle of the top. To complicate the matter, different nations have their own little differences. The real ones in the U.S. are usually a flat green, lighter in color than the one you show, and not shiny like yours.

Hi. Thanks for your comments. The colour and gloss appearance is the result of internal flash. It is lighter in colour and quite dull in appearance. Here's a photo of the bottom. There's a charge cavity and what looks like the firing pin visible. Cheers

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 47
You might want to keep in mnd that one of the M14 practice mines the M-17 (blue in color with white lettering) an initiator, a delay, and an igniter weighing less than 1 gram each. It functions just like the M 14, the other practice mines for the M14 has no internal working parts, just the arm lever on top.

I just cut one of my practice M14s in half, just plastic.

Just a wee bit of SOG knowledge can go here. Just a little guys. SOG would take the empty pound cake out of the c-rat can. Then take some warmed up C-4 and then place it in that size of can and place the M14 down in it. Our you could push the C-4 into the can as it doesn't really mean any dfference. Now you have a weapon that is twice the explosive power if not more with its own initiater and spark.. You can now take on wheeled axis vehicles and some tracks of the NVA Half-Tracks and armored abibitys larger treads such as a tank and strike a Mobiliy Kill.

Ok, that is alll I have to say now and I have used my "SOG on the Brain" already once this week!:dontknow:

Last edited:
Hi. I finally got around to cutting it open. It looks like a good candidate for sectioning:bigsmile:. It would be great to see how other people have sectioned theirs before I get too carried away, so please show us some pics of your ones. I will also need a base plug and the half ring safety clip if anyone can help. Thanks

Attachments

• 14_2.jpg
    14_2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Nice job there Fragman, very nice job. Yours looks really nice on the inside. I will get back to you via a PM as far as what you are needing for your display. OK?

Last edited:
Hi V40,

I had another go at it today. The cutting is finished, just a bit of sanding and then I'll fill the explosive cavity. I have another complete one that I can use as a pattern to make the missing parts, but if you have original bits, please drop me a PM. Cheers

Attachments

• 14_3.jpg
    14_3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 46