What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M18 advice needed please

exat808

Ordnance approved
We have been given this M18 for disposal as it is presumed live. I have limited knowledge of these US grenades and would like to know if it is an original or a modern paintball type repro. My vote goes for original.

The stencil markings show lot number - PB-44.1 the fuze is marked - M201A1 MEI - 6 - 4

Any advice would be appreciated.2012-11-03 18.57.33.jpg

Thanks siegfreid. We are reluctant to dispose of it but rather curious if it will function. Big dilemma as you generally only get one chance to use any item of ordnance.

Last edited:
There would be a little bit of a spark shower, initially, and then a lot of smoke. They don't explode. Just burn. Very hot. A gravel road or some such would be the safest area for "disposal" as there is something of a fire hazard. It leaves some burnt-in residue behind; in this case, RED. The can remains intact and the fuze remains in the body. The only thing expelled is the spoon and some smoke. Let it cool down before picking it up. It does char the paint.

And plan your throwing position upwind. Lots of smoke warning.

Rick

Last edited:
I concur with Mike. Should last anywhere from 20-30(+/-5 seconds) seconds upon ignition. Not a bad color to boot. If you want to save the fuse then just remove it and you can ignite the mixture with an open flame or cannon fuse. BTW, it should work just fine if it had been stored right over the years. Moisture is this type of smoke grenade's enemy. Make sure the fuse is on tight and that the hole's still have their OD tape on them. JFYI.

Jolly Green may be right there . The pin is in the wrong side so has been removed at some time . You might check to see what it weighs as a full one is quite heavy & if its been used it'll feel like an empty can.

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies so quickly.

We dispose of numerous pyrotechnic and HE articles every week/month. This is the first US M18 that has come to us. I wont dispose of it due to its apparent age. It will be kept in our storage facility as a training aid.

"Jolly Green" - there is a square of olive drab tape covering the emission hole in the base, There is slight corrosion to the upper part of the closing seam on the body however the grenade is generally in good condition.

Is the tape patch itself showing any signs of being lifted? You can tell because they usually used just regular silver colored tape and then sprayed the paint on over the taped parts. If it has been fooled with there will be some silver lines on the tape. It if it is live it should weigh around 19 oz./539g.