What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M18 Cases - Headstamps and Crimping

Brew_Up

364dc80490eab5d228769f6f69fb735d.jpg
792f1d648a883a857d7b2b243df7ca8c.jpg

Hi, I have these two 75mm cases both dated 1941. I understand one is US made and the other made in Canada. I'm curious about the different patterns of crimping around the neck, is this for holding different projectiles? The Canadian made case has an extra row of crimps.

The US made case has a 1940 primer and the Canadian a 1942 primer.

Thanks,
Dean

Last edited:
The Canadian case was manufactured by Canadian Motor and Lamp Company, Windsor, Canada.

TimG

Thanks Tim.

Im struggling to find out why one case would have an extra ring of crimps, trawled through the forum looking but no joy yet.

Although this is from an US manual, the same H.E., Mk. I. shell could have been fixed in your case.
75mmM18.jpg

Regards,
Vince

Thanks Vince. That certainly looks the same pattern of crimping as mine. Best match to what I have that ive seen so far. What manual did that extract come from?

Sent from my LG-K120 using Tapatalk

I have a US made M26 76mm brass case, 1943 date, with the same double row crimp pattern. It holds an M62 AP projectile perfectly. The bottom row of crimps is just below the bottom of the projectile.