What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M1906 paper bullet blank (.30-06)

sksvlad

This round measures 7.62x63 but the headstamp indicates .30-03 origin. C.Punnett's book says that "When reloaded cases were used, these were supposed to have a line cut across the head". So, this round started as .30-03, was fired, then cut down to .30-06 and the headstamp was hit with a cut, after which the paper bullet was inserted. What is financially cheaper, melting this case and using the metal to make a brand new .30-06 case OR sorting fired .30-03 brass for still usable cartridges, cutting the length down and then headstamping the cut? I intuitively think the smelter is cheaper, because the metal would be merely added to an already existing manufacturing line of .30-06. Am I wrong?
.30-06 FA 1 06 paper.jpg2016_03120007.jpg

Last edited:
I would have thought the re use of cases for blanks would be a lot less work involved considering the 'draw' processes and machining involved in making a new case.....reject ball cases used as blanks was common practice in the UK with our old .303"

Let me elaborate on my not so intelligent looking question. Firstly, I'd not ask this if I talked about exactly the same calibre. That was a common practice 100 years ago. Secondly, I'd not ask this if I talked about something like KNIL reloading cartridges in tropical Indonesia far away from Dutch factories, also with real cheap native labour abundant. I am talking about peace time USA doing this next to already existing running .30-06 production lines. The machines are already performing all draw stages so adding a bit of metal wouldn't hurt anything. I work in bio-pharmaceutical industry where entire lots are something abandoned because re-work and follow-up paperwork will be too labour taxing.

Considering the 30-03 was only around for such a short time this could easily be a round from around the change over and used already pre formed 30-03 cases that were converted to 30-06 especially with this round being a blank and as you have already said the line indicated re-used case it does not have to have been a fired case it could just as well be a part finished or even a reject case so shortening and necking to 30-06 would have been a much simpler task that re making the whole case just for a blank. I also agree with SMLE2009, The use of rejected cases for blanks was widespread.

bio-pharmaceutical industry is a lot different to ammunition production :)

Rich

Your blank (M1906) was only around for a few years until replaced by the M1909 blank which has an open neck sealed by a red disc(which stayed in use just about the entire service use of the 30-06)...as your example is made from a shortened 30-03 case it would indicate it is an early example of the M1906 blank and would have made sense to use up existing stocks of 30-03 to convert to 30-06 ammunition...early examples of converted 30-03 to 30-06 ball ammunition can also be found.