What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M24 Stick Grenade

Mikhail

Greetings Grenadiers!

Well I figure it is time for me to start sharing some of my collection...but since I haven't done much photographing of it at this time, I felt my first "full size" post would be some questions I have regarding an M24 Stick Grenade that I acquired. As you can see, it is in a bit of a rough condition, but not too bad (considering what little I paid for it, it was a great bargain).

I am not well versed in the proper terminology for the bits and pieces, so please bear with me until I learn more.

Here is the whole enchilada, all the pieces laid out:
PICT0001.jpg

On the fuze, it has a nice clean date code (I am presuming that is what the letters and numbers mean (42 for the year, letters for the place that made it?)
PICT0003.jpg
On the top is this stamp (I believe the proper term is a WaffenAMT, is that right?) All the others I've seen, the Eagle has its wings outstretched, not downward like this one...is that something special or is it just another version of the stamp?
PICT0004.jpg

Again I am assuming this is a date stamp
PICT0002.jpg

And last but not least...where in the world does this piece go? When I assembly it all, there is no place for this at all. I am thiking it is a fuze well, but how dies it go inside the "can"...or is it just an extra piece that doesn't really belong?
PICT0005.jpg

Will be posting more as I get pics taken...hope you like them!

Mikhail

Hi nice M24 you will have there once cleaned an re built.

To clean the can an top thread use oxalic acid powder format,, mix with warm water and soak and use soft toothbrush...( then put it back in the wifes cup )
then after neautralise with borax or soapy water. just be carefull around inked stamps,, ie, the waff stamp on top of the can.

you can alsu soak the handle in fresh mix of oxalic acid to clean it..

neatralise after soaking ,,, hope this helps?

KindRegards Nick

Thanks Jeeeensy, the tip on cleaning sounds pretty good, may have a go at it.

One question I would like to throw out other collectors is this...do you all think this is a good candidate for restoration, or left alone "as is"? I was toying with the idea of full restoration seeing as the paint is mostly gone, lots of surface rust under the paint and a small hole has formed in the can, the end cap and threads are both cracked

I have read many posts here and know many feel original is best (and i know this one isn't the worst example out there), but I kind of like the in the field look, not the just dug out of the ground or found in bad storage room look...hope that makes sense. I know it is mine and i can do as i want, but just looking to see how others feel on the subject of restorations.

Thanks!
Mikhail

Last edited:
Hi... I would personally just clean it as desribed and asseble it, it all looks period like a salty gren should do.
you will find a better can later on maybe then you can swop it over,, to fully restore it would look like a restored grenade and take away the authenticity of it.
jusy my views,, I have only ever fully restored/painted 1 out of my collection of M24's this one.
It was a bucket of rust and one of those boring Sundays,,,,,,

Regards nick ,,

Thanks Jeeeensy, the tip on cleaning sounds pretty good, may have a go at it.

One question I would like to throw out other collectors is this...do you all think this is a good candidate for restoration, or left alone "as is"? I was toying with the idea of full restoration seeing as the paint is mostly gone, lots of surface rust under the paint and a small hole has formed in the can, the end cap and threads are both cracked

I have read many posts here and know many feel original is best (and i know this one isn't the worst example out there), but I kind of like the in the field look, not the just dug out of the ground or found in bad storage room look...hope that makes sense. I know it is mine and i can do as i want, but just looking to see how others feel on the subject of restorations.

Thanks!
Mikhail

Attachments

• P1000654.jpg
    P1000654.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I guess that is where I differ from many on the board, I don't look at restoring as taking away authenticity of a piece (although admitedly it does take away some of the charactor of a piece). I personally think of it (if it is done properly) as restoring it to its former glory. I guess I developed that feeling from restoring old cars...I would bring back to life what some would consider junk.

In the end though I guess we all have opinions on what to do with our collections...but in the end it is our collections to do what we want with.

Saying it does make me stop and ponder...is it really that bad that it needs restoring? I guess with ordnance it should be more about preserving than restoring...we'll see how my thought go in time I guess. Thanks for your input Nick...and I love the avatar you have!

Michael

Last edited: