What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M31 Rifle Grenade

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi. Now I know these things are a dime a dozen in the States. But most of the ones you find over here are quite damaged (hence I’ve never had one in my collection). I picked this one up a couple of weeks back. It’s the nicest one I’ve seen for sale over here, so I’m happy. Has anybody sectioned one? What do they have inside? Cheers

Attachments

• m31 4 bocn.jpg
    m31 4 bocn.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 72
F-man

That is about as nice a one as I've seen. The majority found "over here" are the demilled (dented warhead and buggered fins) and run in the $30 range. One like yours has been listed for $150 on GB. He hasn't had any takers, but a nice one, regardless. I haven't seen a sectioned one, but imagine it's hollow. Maybe I'll cut into one of my crappy ones, just to see. Again, nice one.

Rick

For those interested in such abstract information the M31 was in service with the British Army circa 1956 (believed to be SF use only).

(Ref Infantry Weapons and Ammunition in Land Service March 1956, copy in TNA/PRO WO196/51)

Other US grenades in British Service were M9A1 (& M11A1) WW2. M26 with T1011E1 Fuze circa 1956-66 for FarELF. Practice Energa Grenade T42 (although this was probably purchased directly from MECAR and just happened to be marked for the US market, other batches were marked Training Grenade and of course Prac Mk 2).

Well,

when I was playing around with my own beat-up M31 I did not really have to look too far to see a wooden plug where the PIBD is located. I destroyed it at a friend's farm. It was shot off of an M-1 Garand during our fun and he used an M1 Carbine, which broke his stock in two after only 4-5 shots. Now, I still cannot remember if it was filled in any way to balance the projectile (NOTE: It has been over quite a few years ago that I did this.) or not. It did have the cone for the Hollow Charge in it, if I remember correctly. Hopes this helps you out Rich?

Did you want to know anything about the "Live version" too?

Last edited:
They are filled where the explosive would normally be with a dark red almost brown compound. As V40 says they have a wooden block where the fuze would be. Interestingly it also has the wire channel that runs from the nose to the fuze and the copper shaped charge cone.

Hi, Thanks for the comments and information. Sounds like I'll need to find a roughy and carry out a bit of dissection. Cheers

I should also say that when we were launching them, we got paid a visit by a ONG Huey who kept circuling around us, watching us at about 1,000" at AGL. I guess they were impressed because the Crew chief kept giving us the "Thumbs Up". We were using the "Vitamin Pills" too which really sent it flying. We were 26 years old when we did this.

We also had "Defensive & Offensive driving" back in 1989 for the Sherrif's Office. We used and old runway that was not in use anymore (too short). We set up around 50 cones (State of Ohio's symbol by the way.) We would go flying down the runway until we hit around 105mph and then have the instructor tell us which way to way to go, left or right. I think just everybody here who is/were a LEO did this in Defensive Driving. Anyhow, we were doing this for most of the day, 12 hours that is, when all of a sudden we would hear a noise that would be loud in the car when I was driving the second time around. The Instructor and me thought we blew a piston but there was no hole in the hood or even a bump. Finally when we stopped the other students pointed to a Huey we realized that they had just came over from the Ohio Air Nationa Guard from across the airport. They were hovering around 30 feet above the ground and were watching us. The gunner in the front was holding up cards with numbers on it for rating each part of the driving. They also were only 200 feet away too. Just so happens that the Cobra was my favorite Helo from Vietnam to the present. Within about an hour we were joined by two more. Guess it was their day for hovering practice. We tryed to give them the best show possible and they stayed for it around an hour and a half. One of the best days of my life.

JFYI>

Bombs and fast cars! I think it would be hard not to have a great :thrasher:. Heres a bit more info on the M31. Cheers

Attachments

• m31.jpg
    m31.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 32