What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M57 plastic or metal?

Demetrius

Hello,

Dont know if this is the right section to post in but here goes, I am about to recieve a Viet Nam era M57 clacker and what I could not find out was if there is another modern version that is made from plastic. from my recent understanding is that the old version is metal. aluminum or steel? or plain plastic?
anyhow I would like the modern version and if anyone was interested in a 'Nam version swap we could work something out.

Cheers!

All of the ones I've seen are of a green tinted ABS plastic that is slightly rough in appearance. One thing that might confuse the issue, is that the U.S. over the past 20 years has had a 50-cap electric blasting machine that is about twice the size of a clacker and made from a shiny green plastic, and the plastic is horrible. If you drop it on any hard surface, the plastic breaks/cracks, and the safety clip to hold the handle in often gets in the way when you try to squeeze it, breaking the bottom off the plastic handle.

I have Examples of US M57 "Clacker" Firing Devices manufactured from Circa 1960's to Present and all are manufactured of non-metallic type material as shown in the attached photos. The example shown was manufactured Circa November 1971. Stay safe,Frank

Attachments

• 000_0521.jpg
    000_0521.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 000_0522.jpg
    000_0522.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 17