What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M632 105-MM CS projectile

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Does anyone have a M632 projectile or M632 105-MM CS cartridge (the cartridge contains the M632 projectile) they can take pictures of? I am in the process of updating this publication, and would like to get some real images of this item if possible.

Thanks,

Joe

Its better than the simple line drawinhg I have now. I might be able to do some cleaning up of it with my graphics people.

Thanks

Joe

Some photos of my 105H XM-629 TAC-CS cartridge that uses an XM-632 projo body. Shown with an ILLUM and BE smoke to show the tighter radius of ogive on the ILLUM and TAC-CS compared to the larger radius of ogive (more tapered) on the rest of the 105 Howitzer family. The Illum and TAC-CS are very recognizeable by their ogive design. I'm puzzled as to why the weight zone markings were stamped in 90 degrees clockwise from the rest of the lettering. You will notice that the illum cartridge is an M314A3 and the projectile is an M314A3. I guess keeping the same number for cartridge and projo body on the TAC-CS would have been too simple.

Attachments

• Base.jpg
    Base.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 18
  • CS Stamping.jpg
    CS Stamping.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Closeup lettering.jpg
    Closeup lettering.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 19
  • Projo markings.jpg
    Projo markings.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 25
  • projo weight zones.jpg
    projo weight zones.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Rounds.jpg
    Rounds.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Illum Stamping.jpg
    Illum Stamping.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Pete,

Here is the XM-631 155H projo. It is fired and I repainted it about 30 years ago. It is 23-3/8 inches tall without base plate or fuze. The base plate will add about 5/16 to 3/8 more.

It is shown with the 105H XM-629 projo above, which is just under 14-7/8 inches tall without base plate or fuze, and also shown with the 66mm CS rocket which is 20 inches long.

The 155mm projo appears to be identical in design to the 155mm M-485 ILLUM. It takes a 2 inch fuze and the base is press fit in and pinned the same as the ILLUM. BE smoke projectiles of this caliber typically have a screw in baseplate and take the smaller diameter 1.4 inch time fuze.

Attachments

• stamping right.jpg
    stamping right.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 10
  • Stamping left.jpg
    Stamping left.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Right front.jpg
    Right front.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 14
  • Left front.jpg
    Left front.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 155mm CS Base.jpg
    155mm CS Base.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 11
  • CS Stuff.jpg
    CS Stuff.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 27
One more thing, do you have decent pictures of the CS canisters that they ejected?

Cheers

Pete

Pete,

I'm not sure what the model number of the rocket is. It has a few partial letters on the body but they aren't distinguishable. Someone posted drawings of the CS rocket here on BOCN earlier, but that drawing shows the rocket being 21 inches long, and my copy is only 20 inches, so maybe mine is an early version.

I do have some very rusty and corroded canisters that came from 155mm projectiles, but I don't know if they are colored smoke, or CS. The top one is tapered to go in the ogive and the others are cylinders.

Attachments

• 66MM M96 one.jpg
    66MM M96 one.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 66MM M96 three.jpg
    66MM M96 three.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 66MM M96 two.jpg
    66MM M96 two.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Thanks John,

I have some black and white photographs of the canisters from the 155mm and 4.2inch mortar, but am always on the look out for better ones.

Cheers

Pete