What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M86

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Does anyone have a M86 PD fuze for the M303 57MM they can take pictures of for me? I don't have any good images of this fuze and would like to try and get a good straight on shot of one.

Joe

Well, here is the best I have. I have 3 real fuzes and a counterfeit/repro. Only one of the fuzes has any marking stamped into it, and the lettering has been "adjusted by someone with a vibratory scribe to read M85. The Manual says it is supposed to be M86.

Thought I might as well show the projectile variants. Let to right T-18E1, T18E2, T24, and unmarked. Any components (projo or fuze that have a date are dated 1945.

I inherited the counterfeit from somewhere. I know where it was made and who made it. There are a lot of ordnance components floating around out there that he produced for collectors over the years. He always stamped his stuff on the base with a K for his last name, and the date, plus other letters. He was a collector, and took items in trade for his work. You will notice that the counterfeit has a radiused ogive and the brass cover for the slider is aligned with the axis of the item as a opposed to the real ones where they seem to be parallel with a straight tapered ogive.

Attachments

• Fuze Bottom T.jpg
    Fuze Bottom T.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Letters L T.jpg
    Letters L T.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 63
  • Letters M T.jpg
    Letters M T.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Letters R T.jpg
    Letters R T.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Projectiles CU.jpg
    Projectiles CU.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Projectiles T.jpg
    Projectiles T.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Projo Base T.jpg
    Projo Base T.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 37
Thank you ... interesting line up. Repo stuff is always interesting, some of it has been very well made, takes a good eye.

Joe

This guy made a lot of things over the years, and some of it was resold by unscrupulous scumbags as being original. The items would be marked with a K and the seller would describe them as such in his sale videos.

Sent from my NSA/FBI tapped iPhone using Tapatalk

Sebastian, I would swear that the first drawing you show was of a 20mm fuze.

Sebastian, I would swear that the first drawing you show was of a 20mm fuze.

Hello,

My documentation shows three different fuzes : M85, M86 for 57mm and M505 for 20mm.

Regards

M85.jpg
M86 M505.jpg