What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Machinegun Simulator

EODGUY

I didn't know exactly where to place this item, but I thought someone might be interested in seeing it. It is a machinegun simulator that was parachute dropped in remote areas of Vietnam, the Ho Chi Mihn trail for example, where it would randomly fire live cal. .30 cartridges. The idea was to make the enemy think they were under fire and disrupt their operations. Only in the US would someone spend the large amounts of money for such a crazy idea as this. It only fired 18 rounds in groups of 3 and 4 at timed intervals. A companion device that I do not have fired single shots to simulate rifle fire. I think that if you are a fairly large group walking a jungle trail and you hear 3 or 4 shots, you will stop and take cover for a short time, but after the first couple of times I doubt it will delay your operations much. Four or five minutes after the last shot is fired a C-4 charge in the center destroys the device. It could be set to start firing up to 1 hour after deployment and would fire in 5 minute intervals. I think most of the time these expensive items scared a lot of wildlife only. Still an interesting item though.

Attachments

• Ambush box.jpg
    Ambush box.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Ambush manual.jpg
    Ambush manual.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Ambush breakdown.jpg
    Ambush breakdown.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Ambush, drawing.jpg
    Ambush, drawing.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 61
  • Ambush device.jpg
    Ambush device.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Ambush, top.jpg
    Ambush, top.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Ambush front.jpg
    Ambush front.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 57
Fascinating !

Fascinating !

Thanks for showing that.

Looking at the top it would appear to be an electrically operated unit using the contacts in the top-was the battery charged just before a drop?

EODGUY,

That is a very interesting unit, Thanks for posting it!

Thanks and stay safe,

Frank

Very interesting item, I find this sort of thing, as well as sabotaged enemy ordnance, very interesting.

You can see the two batteries at the bottom of the set breakdown. They came charged and they were not rechargable. Unfortunately I only have the device and not the parachute or the rest of the kit. Never seen another one after leaving Vietnam except this one that dropped in my lap in the late 70's. I am sure someone else has one and hopefully theirs is complete.

Is there any barrels as such on this device? Would it be capable of causing a stabilised bullet to fly over any meaningful distance?

On the last photograph you can see the "barrels" the bullets exit from. The intent was never to hit a target or send the bullet a long ways, but rather to have the sound of a machine gun firing nearby and make you duck for cover and disrupt your operations. If you were to be hit by one of these random bullets you would really be havinjg the most unlucky day you could ever imagine. Like I said, not a bright idea or a very effective one in my opinion.