What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maker "JM" subcontractor to EOC?

Darkman

This 13 Pr 9 cwt AA case I believe was made by "JM" as a subcontractor to the large EOC works.
Is this correct and who was JM?

Thanks, Graeme

Attachments

• _AA2.JPG
    _AA2.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 22
  • _AA1.jpg
    _AA1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 23
The J/M in a diamond is not a manufacturer but an inspector's mark of the manufacturer Armstrong Whitworth (EOC) - akin to the anchor stamp seen on Kynoch cases, the anchor being an Inspector's mark of that company.

OK thanks. Being so large and close to the EOC I thought it a subcontractor, similar to when a square is used. Cheers

OK thanks. Being so large and close to the EOC I thought it a subcontractor, similar to when a square is used. Cheers

The JM marking is often placed close to the EOC monogram, above or below it, but is also found at random locations on the case head. The attached shows the JM inspection mark below the Lot identifier, and I have also seen it placed to the left of the case 18pr identifier.

Attachments

• A-W case.jpg
    A-W case.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 16