What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Makes me wanna cry...

Back in the day, we expended out of date munitions through the respective weapons. A training opportunity, they said. On a few occasions, it was an all hands endeavor. Now, it seems, the pictured event is the norm. Like you said, a shame.

Lets see I counted 20 M67 grenades
At the going rate of $600.00 0n auction
That makes $12,000
Yup what a shame:bawling:

Back in the day, we expended out of date munitions through the respective weapons. A training opportunity, they said. On a few occasions, it was an all hands endeavor. Now, it seems, the pictured event is the norm. Like you said, a shame.

I always thought it strange that they couldn't be expended through appropriate weapons.Perhaps they couldn't find enough volunteers?
And if the weapon is no longer in service (though might still be in inventory) or damaged/time expired munitions, maybe the Liability brigade has put paid to the practice.
I guess it then becomes an expensive Dems exerscise !.

I've heard stories of National Guard troops that would bury ammo instead of shooting it, so they wouldn't have to clean the weapons. I have a buddy that was out at one of the firing points and saw some belted .50 BMG ammo in the dirt. He started pulling on the belts and ended up taking home 1,000 rounds.

is there an official use by date on all ordnance? i ask this, as i remember in the mid 90's we had loads of L2A2 grenades to throw that were all dated late 70's. i wonder if the TA were always given out of date ammo!!!:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Military ordnance seldom has a "use by date". The life of a particular munition is dictated by in service surveillance and more generally by operational needs. Projected munitions ( shells, saa etc) are also governed by the service life of the weapon system involved.
There have been examples quoted recently on BOCN regarding 1940s and 50's dated demolition charges still being held and used operationally.
To the other extreme there are occasionally instances where a particular item is developed and taken into service for just a very few years and is suddenly rendered obsolete by new technology - this happens frequently with guided weapons.

In the image above it may be the destruction of a batch or lot that has failed testing or proof or may have developed a dangerous fault that would preclude conventional use.

Not normally an expiration date unless it is components for missiles and such. Some propellants are dated, but usually Quasas can inspect and approve for continued use. Always possible that it could have been a suspended lot or ammo that had been mistreated, got hot, wet, etc and so unsafe to shoot. More interesting is what is the explosive charge being used for destruction? I'm going to put a best guess on a MICLIC charge or something similar.

Those are MICLIC charges ... by the marks on them probably deemed unservisable by Quasas.

Joe