What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manufacturing tolerances with the Mills Grenade

Missileman

Have a look at these.

These are 2 1944 Valdis No36 de-milled training grenades.

The reason I'm posting these pics is because in the hand, they feel totally different to hold because one is much wider than the other.

The reason for this is that the diameter along the join of the two halves is significantly different between the two as can be seen in these pics.

I'm curious to know if anyone has two other grenades, from the same maker where they feel totally different to hold for a similar reason

Cheers all

DSC02766.jpgDSC02768.jpgDSC02767.jpgDSC02769.jpg

have notice that there are different ones, fat and thin. I think different factories made the bodies and grenades did not have to have tolerances like the two inch mortar that had to fit in a bore as they were thrown by hand but saying that, would you have problems loading a fat one in a cup launcher or was the cup launcher wider than the fattest grenade as it relied on the cup disc that screwed to the bottom of the grenade base plug..

I don't know the tolerances either. But since the width isn't a critical dimension they probably didn't care too much about it. As long as the fuze, plugs, etc. fit it's good to go.

It is quite possible they ended up as training items as they failed inspection and were not suitable to be filled.

Tim

It is quite possible they ended up as training items as they failed inspection and were not suitable to be filled.

Tim

That thought had crossed my mind as well, but there's no telling that these weren't once live before they were de-milled, which is why it would be nice to see two others from the same maker which weren't used as training items to see if they have the same characteristics.

Mike

I think you'll find that the manufacturing tolerances for No36 Mills grenades was quite precise . However , No5's can show enormous differences in body shape .

That thought had crossed my mind as well, but there's no telling that these weren't once live before they were de-milled, which is why it would be nice to see two others from the same maker which weren't used as training items to see if they have the same characteristics.

Mike

What do you mean by the term de-milled?

Tom.

Tom . It's an Americanism for de-activated & seems to have come into general use even in the UK these days . I think you'll find that the internet is to blame ! Mike.

Mike, thanks, I took it as meaning deactivated (or demilitarised?)...

What I meant by the question was, how are these No.36s "deactivated" any differently to any other ex-Service or ex-training examples? Deactivated rifles, pistols, etc, have slots milled out and bars welded in. I was just interested as to what had been done to these two grenades.

Tom.

Last edited:
Mike, thanks, I took it as meaning deactivated (or demilitarised?)...

What I meant by the question was, how are these No.36s deactivated any differently to any other ex-Service or ex-training examples? Deactivated rifles, pistols, etc, have slots milled out and bars welded in. I was just interested as to what had been done to these two grenades.

The two in the pictures have simply had 5 holes drilled through the main casing. Two each side and one in the middle at the front. I believe this drilled hole pattern is consistent with British protocol for deactivating a Mills grenade. The Canadians drill only three holes in theirs when they de-mill them. (One at the front and one each side).

Obviously they have alo had their HE filling also removed and there is no detonator present, but the centre tube is still in place....also dated 1944.

Mike

The two Vadis training grenades were most probably made from reject bodies, as pointed out by Tim in post #4. Training grenades were made to order , not from "deactivated" Service stores. John Pilling & Sons Colne, Lancs, were the main source of training No.36, taking in reject bodies from most of the other manufacturers - they alone supplied just over 500,000 during WWII.

For example the end note (one amongst many) in contract 294/6/4134 with the British Bath Co. for 50,000 drill grenades, No.36, in August 1943: "45,000 with gas checks. 5,000 without gas checks and fitted with iron base plugs. The grenades to be produced from rejected castings."

As for the five holes drilled around the body, see post #32 here:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/65872-No-36-mkII/page4?highlight=mkII

Tom.

The two Vadis training grenades were most probably made from reject bodies, as pointed out by Tim in post #4. Training grenades were made to order , not from "deactivated" Service stores. John Pilling & Sons Colne, Lancs, were the main source of training No.36, taking in reject bodies from most of the other manufacturers - they alone supplied just over 500,000 during WWII.

For example the end note (one amongst many) in contract 294/6/4134 with the British Bath Co. for 50,000 drill grenades, No.36, in August 1943: "45,000 with gas checks. 5,000 without gas checks and fitted with iron base plugs. The grenades to be produced from rejected castings."

As for the five holes drilled around the body, see post #32 here:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/65872-No-36-mkII/page4?highlight=mkII

Tom.

Thanks Tom

Where on earth do you glean all this information? Is there a book detailing the history of the Mills grenade?

The more I learn, the more I want to learn about them all.

Thanks again