What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marked time fuze for Thiel made ZZS/60nA

havoc

Hi All,

Not sure if this has been pictured or mentioned before, but picked this fuze up with a few others at Beltring.
I have had a fair few of these over the years, around 40 in total, but this is the first i have had come in with the Eagle stamp on the timer itself. All the usual numbers are stamped down the side of the unit, but i have never had one with this mark.

Just thought i would post it for you all to see.

Regards,
H.

Attachments

• DSCN5867.jpg
    DSCN5867.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN5866.JPG
    DSCN5866.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN5868.jpg
    DSCN5868.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 48
Hi All,

Not sure if this has been pictured or mentioned before, but picked this fuze up with a few others at Beltring.
I have had a fair few of these over the years, around 40 in total, but this is the first i have had come in with the Eagle stamp on the timer itself. All the usual numbers are stamped down the side of the unit, but i have never had one with this mark.

Just thought i would post it for you all to see.

Regards,
H.

None of mine have the eagle stamp on the timers, if youve had 40 or so and none of those have either i guess there are not many out there like this one. very nice fuze and thanks for showing.

Darren

Same here with the ones im looking at in my collection. Maybe if i stripped some more but i shall not risk it!
Good find indeed H! :)

best

waff

Ta Lads,
Even with all the fg's and 30's as well, they total around15-20 of them, and same there. Never had one. From what i can see of it it looks like an early stamp as well. Im not very up on the dates of the Waff stamps etc, so unsure what date lt could have been produced. If its an early one, the eagle that is, what dates were these time units designed and used??
Mmmm, got me thinking now lol.
Regards,
H.

Last edited:
The eagle in 1930's design is interesting to see but I doubt the clockwork belongs to this fuze body from 1943.

Thiel got famous with this fuze but it got invented / developed and initially patented by it's inventor Paul Liebergeld in the late 1920's.

The eagle in 1930's design is interesting to see but I doubt the clockwork belongs to this fuze body from 1943.

Thiel got famous with this fuze but it got invented / developed and initially patented by it's inventor Paul Liebergeld in the late 1920's.

I totally agree there on the date of the body etc . Interesting that it was developed that early. Will be interesting if any other members have ever come accross one like this. I have been asked by some collectors in the past if i have ever seen a timer with a factory code on them? This i have never seen, a bit like the eagle until now. Out of interest, has anyone seen a makers code on a similar time unit?
Cheers for the info.
Regards,
Clive.

Last edited:
Clive,

I have just purchased another ZZS/60nA, dated 1940. When it arrived i could see that it had never been opened up, all of the wax was still in place over the screws etc.
After removing all of the wax and stripping it down it became clear that this one also has the eagle stamp on the timer! Mine is stamped on the bottom of the timer like yours but not in the same place.

This fuze also has the eagle stamped on the bottom of the main fuze casing, it is stamped next to a letter 'G'. None of my others have the eagle stamped here either.

I wonder how many more like this there are out there?

Darren

Last edited:
Following on from my last post, the fuze was pretty grotty so i have started giving it a little clean, below are some photos of progress and the unusual stampings.

Darren

Attachments

• 001 (680 x 967).jpg
    001 (680 x 967).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 23
  • 002 (1077 x 808).jpg
    002 (1077 x 808).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 003 (1077 x 808).jpg
    003 (1077 x 808).jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 004 (1077 x 639).jpg
    004 (1077 x 639).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 005 (846 x 782).jpg
    005 (846 x 782).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 18
  • 006 (663 x 666).jpg
    006 (663 x 666).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 007 (913 x 663).jpg
    007 (913 x 663).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 19

Just to note the timer shown in my original posting with the early eagle stamp is from this fuze dated 43, as it was still sealed with wax.:tinysmile_classes_t