What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marker Removal

Spaceinvader

Hi there, I was wondering if there is any ways to get marker off of brass shells, as I have a 30mm with black marker (permanent) scribbled on it. So if theres any ways to get it off, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Rhys

I have removed Sharpie marker writing from brass cases using OxyClean carpet stain remover and paper towels. It takes more than one application and rubbing. Does not appear to abrade the brass. I wish sellers would use stickers to put price and other info on their wares.

If it is on plain brass which has no markings just use the nail polish remover of your wife.

Do not do this on laquered steel cases or such with paint markings on!

Or you can use the active ingredient in nail polish remove, which is acetone.

Denatured alcholol works perfectly without any damage to the brass. It also works with grafitti on paint if a marker is used.

Well, it worked!:tinysmile_grin_t: I used some nail polish remover, and with alot of elbow grease and lots of scrubbing, it came off. It still has the scribbles on it, but only because the metal has not seen the light of day for a while, so its all nice and shiny, but it should go away with the patina. Thanks so much! Rhys

Next question :tinysmile_grin_t: - how best to remove the sticky patches left after the labels have been pulled off, without damaging the case finish?

White spirit works for me.

The other thing to consider of course is what all that scribbling says. If its the price then fair enough most people want to rub it off but with experimental ammunition in particular there is info hand written on the case that relates to weight/loading etc that it would be a shame to remove.

Dave

Try "Goo Gone",
...it works on markers as well as anything sticky (like the sticky stuff left behind when you take price stickers off).
I use it all the time.
...great stuff!

www.googone.com
We take gummed-up, stuck-on and ground-in goo,
then make them disappear without a trace.
Goo Gone takes almost anything off just about everything.
Tar, gum, wax, Regrettable texts -
Goo Gone can undo (almost) all of them.
Were citrus based and we remove goo without
harming the important stuff.

Attachments

• googone.jpg
    googone.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 6
I've also used "liquid wrench" and other brands of penetrating oils on the gummy residue on plastics and metals, not brass though, wiped the "mush" off with a paper towel and washed with dishwashing detergent. Like they say "check the label and use on an inconspicuous spot first !" Bill

I use a cloth dampened with petrol to remove the adhesive left behind from labels. I would be wary about using it on non-metal surfaces - always test on a non-significant area first.