What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matches ID

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

I found this old matchbox with ww2 ordnance (French resistance).
Does anyone know these matches ? (military use ?).
box : 58mmx37mmx17mm
match : 50mm

Regards

IMG_8274.jpgIMG_8275.jpgIMG_8276.jpgIMG_8277.JPG

These matches are still used today to set off charges who are set off with wick/fire cord/non electric. We call them wind matches and the name says the working. It still works with hard wind. I hope it's all clear because I used Google translate for some words.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One met Tapatalk

They are Matches, Fusee, as KefKef10 says, you can use them in windy conditions to light bickford type fuse or similar, even when its windy.
Cheers
Gary

I don't know if your matches are WW II (I don't think so, but...), actually you can find them in fireworks shops !

Yoda

Matches fuzee like these ones were still in use in the British army in the 1980s and I used them to light Safety Fuse in conjunction with non-electric detonators. I doubt they had changed much since WW2 although I don't know when they were first introduced into service.

There is not much left about Matches Fuzee (not that there ever was).
Only the military would have had access to these during WWII.
Any firework displays in Britain, if any would have been organised, with fireworks unavailable to the general public.
The first fireworks I ever saw were available to the public on VE Day and they were rationed.
BM on the packages refers to the commercial manufacturer Bryant and May, who had bought up virtually all other suppliers.
I know that they do burn underwater.
I also know about the sensitivity of matchhead composition in non safety matches, because a box of England's Glory matches burst into flames in my pocket when I was running about, aged about 10 years old.
As you see there were two sizes still in service until the 1960s, but with Generators Smoke No 24 being vastly reduced in number and portfires being readily available, the small match was phased out and 'large' was dropped from the army vocabulary.

Attachments

• Matches Fuzee - Gen - 1.jpg
    Matches Fuzee - Gen - 1.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Matches Fuzee - Large - 1.jpg
    Matches Fuzee - Large - 1.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Matches Fuzee - Small - 1 (1).jpg
    Matches Fuzee - Small - 1 (1).jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 32
Matches Fusee and windproof matches are not the same beast. Matches fusee when struck burns with a very high temperature and no flame, Matches windproof burn with a high temperature and a flame. The difference between the two is the heat produced, fusee requires a very high temperature to ensure safety fuse ignites first time every time, hexamine blocks require flame and heat to ignite.

Web matches fusee - windproof 001.jpgWeb matches fusee - windproof 002.jpgWeb matches fusee - windproof 003.jpg

Matches from L-R, ww2 Matches fusee (large), Modern L1A1, B&M Commercial 1950-1960, ww2 Australian Matches fusee safety, Matches waterproof No4 Mk2, BCB/Ration pack windproof, RAF Nestor survival matches.

Being a pyromaniac I like matches, most groups these days prefer ISFE's instead. No their is not a lot of information about even in the various Demolitions manuals. The older types are getting quite hard to find as well.

I forgot to say in my comment that it says in Para 18 that these matches were obsolescent. This was a 1950s publication, which had 'deleted' written across across it.
The large ones are still with us but just as Matches Fuzee.
Obviously, the matches in the original comment would then have been the large ones.
It may be obvious to some, that the match box in the original comment was made of wood, very like a fine veneer, about a sixteenth of an inch thick at most. All Bryant and May proprietary safety match boxes were also made in this way and were very strong.

On the subject of hexamine cookers, these were used by the para brigade (as was) and other teeth arms, but the hexamine always made tea taste very peculiar.