What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mauser 7.92 x 57 1906 but which manufacturer?

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
afternoon all, I have here a standard 7.92 x 57 Mauser round with the headstamp ' D 2 06 S'. Any idea how I can determine whether this was made in Durlach or Dresden?

any thoughts appreciated, regards, dave100_9443.jpg

Dave, that's a really good question! My first thoughts were that this was definitely made by Dresden and I'm pretty sure the small dot after the 'D' confirms this. I have a similar cartridge and I've listed it as Dresden. However I have just checked Kent's book on the 7.9mm cartridge and he lists 'D' as being Gustav Genschow, Durlach but makes no mention of Dresden.
I don't suppose I've helped much.....
Jim

Dave, that's a really good question! My first thoughts were that this was definitely made by Dresden and I'm pretty sure the small dot after the 'D' confirms this. I have a similar cartridge and I've listed it as Dresden. However I have just checked Kent's book on the 7.9mm cartridge and he lists 'D' as being Gustav Genschow, Durlach but makes no mention of Dresden.
I don't suppose I've helped much.....
Jim

oh you have Jim, I feel much better now, I thought I was just being thick! Dave

Until November 1901 German M88 rounds had a 120° head stamp. (Spandau)
In December an additional “E” was pressed in the now 90° head stamp.
It means in German; Einheitshülse. Free translated; unity case. This was a case used for Rifle and MG. With the introduction of the “S” (Spitz) round two years later this M88 case was old.
To make a difference between the M88 Einheitshülse and a case for an “S” round they pressed an “S” instead an “E in the head stamp.
I am sorry but it had nothing to do with brass.

Rgds
Dutch

Dutch,
Many thanks for the clarification however I am still a little confused by the 'S'. I have two rounds with the roundnose M88 bullet but headstamped 'DM S 12 12' and 'S 88S 2 13'. Surely the 'S' on these means that they should be loaded with the spritzer bullet and not the M88. They are original loads.
Jim

Dutch,
Many thanks for the clarification however I am still a little confused by the 'S'. I have two rounds with the roundnose M88 bullet but headstamped 'DM S 12 12' and 'S 88S 2 13'. Surely the 'S' on these means that they should be loaded with the spritzer bullet and not the M88. They are original loads.
Jim

The litarature tells us they used powder for "S" rounds (2,55 g S Powder Heeresverordnungsblatt 1912) in this M88 cartridge.
btw it is the last cartridge made by Spandau with this (88S) head stamp. The next made M88 has an "S" head stamp on the case (S 7 14 S)

The DM S 12 12 is an origininal loading. that year they still used sometime the "E" (Einheitshülse) in the head stamp.
Made a few Pictures.

Rgds

Attachments

• 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 88b.jpg
    88b.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 26
Thank you Dutch...again. It would seem that was a complicated and confusing period during the development of German ammunition but your explanation makes it all a lot clearer.
Jim