What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Members Post Counts Dropping

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Im sorry but some members will see there post counts drop today,
Whilst searching for something i came across a thread that the initial poster had used off site image hosting which the image had been deleted, a further look i found several more posts by the original poster with the same issue,,
so im going to have to waste my time this afternoon going through the posts finding all the threads which had a starter post with images deleted due to using off site image hosting,
I am deleting the topics where the initial post has deleted images.
I have in the past posted reminders about the problems using off site image hosts such as photobucket which obviously seem to have been ignored and asked members to use the BOCN image uploading which is also used by many other websites and makes the images permanent and a valuable resource for present and future users..
Think about others when using the off site hosters , you might think "oh its only spotter who cares" ..well its not ,you are spoiling things for everyone else,people may spend time researching answers to your questions , taking photos of their items to help answer things relevent to your initial starter post,,once the image has been deleted their answers dont make any sense and you will have wasted everyones time .

How to upload images can be found here http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/86035-How-to-upload-images-01-02-13 as i have previously said this is not unique to BOCN and is used by many other websites

Last edited:
if you remember charlie when we first started around 2007 we wasnt on the server we are on now,and the server we used then crashed losing lots of images, The issues im having to deal with at the moment are deleted or removed photobucket and other off site hosted images
the example below is just one of many :frown:

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I think (know) that I am one of the culprits because I use tinypic as a hosting site. Question. Once I post a photo using the BOCN procedure, can I edit or delete that photo at some time in the future, or is it there forever even if I edit or delete the post?

BTW, I don't see anything that says "Manage Attachments". ???
Ray

Last edited:
If your posting a new topic you should be able to just scroll down your page underneath the box where you have written your text there is a part headlined "additional items",scroll down this section and you will find "manage attachments".
If you are just replying to a post without adding any images just use the "reply" option....If you want to reply with an image click on "go advanced" which is located below the basic reply text box.
The BOCN procedure is not new it has been used successfully by 100s of members for a long time now .Once posted using the on site image hosting like i keep saying images should be a permanent fixture on site and be usefull for present and future users,
re editing posts or deleting images, as far as i understand editing was set to a time limit because of people selfishly removing images..
wanting to delete images in the future ?? ,why bother posting them in the first place if your just going to remove them at a later date

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It's not that I don't care about your concerns Spotter but my post count is not why I come here, it does nothing to improve my life or experiences here in any way and to be honest if my post went to zero I wouldn't miss a heartbeat.

Hi Allan
With Jolly Green on that/those points!!
Particularly if your posts are only to say Hi/welcome to new memebers - whilst that is polite it doesn`t reflect any real contribution to the site.

. . .why bother posting them in the first place if your just going to remove them at a later date

I never stop learning. There have been many times when I've made a post, along with photos, and then a year later I read it and think, "My Lord, how could I have been so stupid?" But, if I have no way to edit that post, it is there forever with my name on it.

Maybe I will change my user name to Tony. ;-) ;-)

I have no problem with using the BOCN image uploading.

Ray

Keep up the good work Spotter. When you're busy trying to keep the site in order we're all just enjoying it and not really thinking how and why it just seems to work.

Appreciated and thanks.

Dave.

sorry spotter I am afraid I am guilty of using Photo Bucket to provide large images for detail. I am not aware that they can disappear. Won't use it anymore.
Regards,
John

If you really really want a post deleted because after a year you've realised you've made a prat of yourself in it, just ask a mod to delete it!!!:bigsmile: