What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memory Refresh......

Dronic69

Premium Member
Happy New Year!

I spotted this the other day - any ideas?
Can't quite make out the base markings............

All thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
Cheer Drew

Attachments

• Unknown-1.JPG
    Unknown-1.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 49
Sorry - came from an online auction site - no dimensions provided. Thought the unusual case base selector (delay) may have provided a clue....
Here is the other photo with the suspect highlighted - looks shortened IMHO.
Thanks
Cheers D

Attachments

• Unknown-2.jpg
    Unknown-2.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
It looks a lot like a cartridge head clearance gauge for an artillery piece, used by technicians to check what would commonly be referred to as head space.
The numbers around the center refer to the distance in thousand's of an inch to measure the actual gap.

It looks a lot like a cartridge head clearance gauge for an artillery piece, used by technicians to check what would commonly be referred to as head space.
The numbers around the center refer to the distance in thousand's of an inch to measure the actual gap.
Is the case therefore slightly under sized (length wise) and the screw is turned extending or retracting the case length to locate the exact head space gap?
I'm assuming it is the same principle for a normal rifle head space check.

The length is definitely shorter than the case for the gun, and you do rotate the center screw to determine the cartridge head clearance.
The small screw is a lock screw so the gauge screw doesn't move when you close the breech.
Like any rimmed case the head space is measured off the rim.

The one I have is for the US 105 howitzer.