What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican War Era Arial Bomb

frizzen

Does anyone here have any information on this bomb? All I have is a photo copy of the photo showing the bombs in boxes. Thanks......582.jpg545.jpg

In the background of the photo can be seen two broken open boxes , one with a bomb body spilling out, the other showing a body upright against it. I can read on the box...High Explosives Dangerous Manufactured by Apache Powder Company. I'm pretty sure that the Apache Powder Company was in Arizona. My guess is that these were mfg in the US (Arizona) for sale to the Mexican Government. Also, the bomb has no lugs for mechanical drop off, rather, a handle for the observer to hold while leaning over the cockpit. There is no fuze in my example, just a plug, but all threads are US. There are no marks on the body at all (it is in perfect shape, no rust pitting). It has been re-painted black, when I found this it was painted silver, obviously not original color. I also built the boom and fins to match the photo. This body did come out of Arizona about 7 or 8 years ago, I was able to trade it out of another collector..................