What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MIlls 36 Box

Millsman

Premium Member
Not posted for a while - have been too busy. However I thought the forum might be interested in this. A nice WW2 Mills box with 6 throwing practice grenades (only 5 in photos). All grenades are WW2 dated one being a Mk2, but the box appears to have been in use up to about 1970.

John

SSCN8696.JPGSSCN8695.JPGSSCN8697.JPGSSCN8694.JPG

No internals found yet! They all seem to be different makers though paint covers a couple. I can see 2 Vadis, 1 JHW and 1 possible Kenrick. I suspect this may have been an unofficial box put together for local training or the remains of all they had left when the Mills was retired. There were 12 in the box originally but only 6were left by the time I was able to buy it. If you see any other bright white grenades around they may have started in this box.

John

'And from Sir John Moore Barracks,close to my neck of the woods nowadays!

Tony'​

Not as close as I am. I'm just 2 miles from the barracks.

John

'And from Sir John Moore Barracks,close to my neck of the woods nowadays!

Tony'​

Not as close as I am. I'm just 2 miles from the barracks.

John

Hi John,
is there still a Sir John Moore barracks in Kent? thought they moved to Winchester,Hants?

Tony

Yes at Shorncliffe. There are a lot of things named after him in the area and a nice statue on the seafront at Sandgate.

John

No Paul, I've already got a full WW2 Mills Crate in my collection. The wife would kill me if I got another one "We are supposed to be de-cluttering!!".

This one will be sold on, rare beast that it is.

John

Is that Israeli markings in green on the box lid ?

I doubt it but I'll have a close look tomorrow.

John

Yes at Shorncliffe. There are a lot of things named after him in the area and a nice statue on the seafront at Sandgate.

John

Hi John,
just googled the barracks and it would seem there is one at Shorncliffe,Winchester and Shrewsbury!
Tony

He certainly got around a bit, though I think his main claim to fame is the defences along the south coast.

John

Hi john . .
Very nice find .Whats the average price on an empty mills box?(when you can find them)
Darrol .

Aah, it was late when I saw it and also upside down ! nice box by the way.

When I looked at it again today I can understand why you queried Isreali as the invested text does look rather like hebrew.

John