What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills Centre tubes

gothica7

Premium Member
Hi,
ok, one for the experts on Mills grens.

Here are 3 aluminium centre tubes from WW1.

My question is, from these 3, which one is for a No 5?

Andy

Attachments

• 3 Mills centre tubes.jpg
    3 Mills centre tubes.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 77
I would have thought all of them.
The minor differences may be due to different manufactures but the overall hight of each should be the same (I think).
I dont recall reading anything that said a certain centre tube was for a particular grenade. I have No 5's that have brass centre tubes and some that have alloy and the same again for No23's
paul

I would have thought all of them.
The minor differences may be due to different manufactures but the overall hight of each should be the same (I think).
I dont recall reading anything that said a certain centre tube was for a particular grenade. I have No 5's that have brass centre tubes and some that have alloy and the same again for No23's
paul

From a Centre Piece height perspective the No 5, 23 & 23M Mk I, 23 & 23M Mk II all used CPs 2.73H-2.71L inches. The No23 & 23M Mk III used a slightly shorter CP at 2.68H-2.66L (No 36 as 23 Mk III). I can't remember whether or not there was some latitude allowed for the use of washers in the recesses but maybe Snufkin could comment.

Hi guys, does this piccy help?

I reccon its the tube on the right thats a No 5, the others from WW1 36s.

Andy

Attachments

• Centre tube 2.jpg
    Centre tube 2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 58
Not much to add beyond whats been said. The lead washer was specd at 20 thou thickness, and was compressed when the c-p was screwed home to give an airtight seal in the crown.

More of an obvious differentiator between the types of Al c-p is the depth of the cup: 0.25H-0.242L inches for the No.5 family and 0.2H-0.19L inches for the 23 Mk III family. The annular lip in the No.5 c-p was the point to which the depth was spec'd, and was specifically created to hold the anvil/cap chamber firm against the screwed in base plug.

Tom.

Anydy

At a quick guess the one on the left as it seems to replicate the shallower base found in some brass No 5's. The middle one looks to have WW2 type shellack on it and the one on the right looks more like a WW1 36.

John

Hi John,

would you believe it but the 2 on the left are WW1 36s with the one one the right a No 5.

Andy

I would Andy because the slope of the det tube is no indicator. The thinner base had me fooled though. I'll have a look at my stock of centrepieces to see if I need to brush up my knowledge!

John :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Last edited:
Anyone got a spare No 36 centre piece ? in good condition, age not important. Tony.

Tony

I don't sell my centrepieces unless I've used one to complete a grenade. They are hard to find and many people, like me, just hang on to them for renovations.

John