What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills Gren tools

gothica7

Premium Member
Hi all,

just thought i would show you a selection of the taps and dies i use in sorting all the threads on the Mills grens i manage to get my hands on. This includes base plugs, centre tubes, fillers and the threads for the rods.
All made from hardened steel and all well used. Cost a bit but not as much as you might expect and worth every penny.

Thelarge 1/14 die is for the base plug and dated 1944 so an original bit of kit. the 1/14 tap,not original as is the rest, is great for cleaning and improving the threads of all the Mills mark bodies, a really useful bit of kit.
All are 20 TPI.

Andy

Attachments

• Mills tools.jpg
    Mills tools.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Mills Tap.jpg
    Mills Tap.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 71
I would like to find some taps and dies for the threads on British artillery case primers. This could be difficult as they are non-standard threads. These threads are:

Large Type: 1 1/5" (1.2") x 14 TPI Whitworth

Small Type: 5/8" (.625") x 18 TPI Whitworth.

The smaller one matches 5/8" UNF, but I wouldn't have thought UNF threads would have been use in the UK in WW1 and before.

Last edited:
Hello Millsman,
I've seen that Dugup are selling quality repro taps for No 5/23 and No 36 mills grens. I've never had any problems with them and they offer a 14 day 'cooling off' period so if you sre not happy with the item, money will be re-funded minus p+p providing the items are received back in the original condition.
I'm thinking of getting a set myself but at present I'm bartering for some other bits and pieces!
Hope this is of some use to you other gren collectors?
Cheers,
navyman.

Thanks Navyman. I have got a set of taps for all the main Mills threads but don't have the dies, which are harder to get, and more expensive too. One day.

John