What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills Grenade production numbers

B

Bannerman

Hi Everyone,

I have recently been swotting up on Mills grenades, gleaning huge amounts of information from Darryl Lynn's The Grenade Recognition Manual, Rick Landers' "Grenade" (both excellent books) and BOCN. I still have a few questions that I would like to put to the forum, which I will spread over seperate threads. Apologies if some of these may have been answered before but I have looked via the search engine, to no avail.

The first of these concerns production numbers. Several sources state that total Mills production for WW1 amounted to to 75 million units (75,131,962).

Does anyone know the number of units produced subsequently during the interwar period, WW2 and the post war period up to the end of production (1972 in GB, 1980's parts of Commonwealth) and therefore can we put a number to the total of all Mills grenades ever produced?

Bruno

Hi all,

Any feedback on this?

From another thread I've learned that it is highly likely Mills grenades No36 Mk 1 are still being produced in India, so I may be asking a question about a moving numbers target here, sort of... Any info/views/opinions?

Cheers
Bannerman

p.s. I'm not researching/writing a book, or anything like that. The Mills series of grenades fascinate me from a design point of view, a historical angle, a personal thing (my dad had to throw them for real). I'm just a seriously interested collector. And they remain just about affordable and don't take up too much space!:tinysmile_grin_t:

And finally -
A list of articles required by the IndianArmy on this invite to tender dated 31st May 2010 - The tender offer is still open until 14th June -
They are looking for amongst other things - det tubes, base plugs, filling hole plugs, safety fuze for the dets, pins and rings, baseplug keys - perhaps BOCN members could club together and supply the Indian Army!!!

http://tenders.gov.in/viewtenddoc.asp?tid=maha304120&wno=1&td=TD

exat808,

Thanks for a great piece of research, the links are fascinating and I believe you have proved the No36 lives on. It now remains to be seen if production will continue into and beyond 2015, it's centenery.

Cheers, Bannerman