What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills grenade.

SG500

Premium Member
I've had this one since I was a kid (30 years ago!!) when I picked it up for 5 in an antique shop.
All INERT.
Comes to bits etc.
Other than that I know absolutely nothing about it other than its a Mills Grenade.
Is it WW1 or WW2?
Who made it?
Dave.

Attachments

• 20 August 2009 012.jpg
    20 August 2009 012.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20 August 2009 003.jpg
    20 August 2009 003.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20 August 2009 002.jpg
    20 August 2009 002.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 20 August 2009 001.jpg
    20 August 2009 001.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 48
I've had this one since I was a kid (30 years ago!!) when I picked it up for 5 in an antique shop.
All INERT.
Comes to bits etc.
Other than that I know absolutely nothing about it other than its a Mills Grenade.
Is it WW1 or WW2?
Who made it?
Dave.

It's a No 23 Mk2 grenade from WW1. I have one of these base plugs dated 1917. , is there any markings on the grenade body ?
The date should be on the raised part of the base plug. Maker is H.S. Cooke & Co, 116 Northwood Street, Birmingham. (they also made Oil bottles for SMLE rifle)
Nice grenade, looks in good condition.

Last edited:
An excellent all original grenade. It should be left exactly as it is, don't try to clean it up. All it probably needs is a bit of light grease on the spring / striker as over time they can stick to the aluminum or brass centre piece. A good investment too as the 5 is now worth up to 75 to the right buyer. I'm a bit envious!

John

Thanks Nismosonic and Millsman. I've just taken it to bits and found a letter "H" on it. Any ideas?
There looks like there is a date on the plug but its under paint/crud so I've not messed around scraping it off.
Dave.

Attachments

• Mills in bits 001.jpg
    Mills in bits 001.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Mills in bits 002.jpg
    Mills in bits 002.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Mills in bits 003.jpg
    Mills in bits 003.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Mills in bits 004.jpg
    Mills in bits 004.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 24
fime mills bomb

Looks like a most excellent example to me Dave, and the price was sure right, May need to find a No36 to keep it company so to speak, then it just goes ugly from there...Best..Dano

The H will just be a casting / mould letter. On No 5's these can be numbers or letters that don't normally tie up to a maker. I've got No 5 with FD, B , G and various numbers, normally under the lever. The only one that may tie up (and it could be a co-incidence) is a letter B on a grenade with a 1915 plug for Burman Ltd of Birmingham, but I suspect even that one is a just a mould identifyer.

John