What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills Lever Markings

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
I have this mills grenade lever which came on a chatham co made no36 ,
im curious as to what the stampings on it indicate ,lever manufacturer ,theyre faint but looks to be iPz ???? ,a number ?3 possibly 43 ? and a O at the bottom of the lever,,
thanks
Allan

Attachments

• P1060357.jpg
    P1060357.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 29
  • P1060359.jpg
    P1060359.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 32
  • P1060360.jpg
    P1060360.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 30
Spotter,

I think that the marking is actually NPZ - which I believe is Palmerston North Workshops, New Zealand Railways - not too good on the antipodean manufacturers.

Regards

Tim

Last edited:
Allan,

As TimG says the marking is NPZ, but I think that it is the Precision Eng. Co., New Zealand. Hopefully one of our Kiwi members can confirm...

Tom.

Tom's answer is the safer bet. Sadly, I've no listings official or semi official for New Zealand monograms. Only snippets I've gleaned here and there with no authentification.

Tim

Hi. It’s probably worth mentioning where some of the confusion surrounding who the manufacturer was that used the identification code NPZ. Up until around 2005 it was generally accepted that it was the NPZ Railway Workshops. Reference books written prior to that period typically attribute the manufacturer as such. In 2005 a very well referenced book named the manufacture as NZ Pressings. This was in particular relation to WW2 British helmets stamped NPZ. This became quite an emotive topic in collecting circles. It was around that time I put on a display at a local gun show. Part of that display was a discussion on NPZ, where I stated it was unclear who the manufacture NPZ was. Whilst I was at lunch my oldest son (he was about 12 at the time) was looking after my display when one of the public abused him and told him to read some of the F’ing books I also had on display, if he wanted to know who the manufacturer was. He has never attended another gun show (we collectors can be a strange breed). Anyway, since then some very thorough research has been carried out on who made the helmet posts, confirming it was Precision Engineering. Items commonly stamped NPZ include Sten Guns, Helmet posts, Mills launcher disks and Mills levers. Cheers