What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills rifle rod question

pointblank0

BOCN Supporter
Hello all, what materials were used for the mills rifle rods? I have a few, a couple of them look like steel but are quite pitted, the other I have appears to be copper. Would this be right or is it more lkely brass, just a bit dirty?
Thanks,
Rob

Rods

All the ones I have seen have been steel, but it is possible thay were originally copper washed to prevent corrosion. I cannot see copper being wasted on rods, given the numbers used!

Others may know better than I.

Norman?

Regards,
tonyE

Hello all, what materials were used for the mills rifle rods? I have a few, a couple of them look like steel but are quite pitted, the other I have appears to be copper. Would this be right or is it more lkely brass, just a bit dirty?
Thanks,
Rob

They were steel rods electroplated with copper to prevent rusting, or rust-proofed by Fermangan (type of blueing) process.

Tom.

Last edited: