What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini mortar/Bomb?

Lou

Was told this was a WWI bomb dropped by hand from early planes?

Any help on propper ID and country of origin would be much appreciated...

aprox 57mm X 155mm tall Only marking is a D.

Attachments

• O 010.jpg
    O 010.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 27
  • O 011.jpg
    O 011.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 24
  • O 012.jpg
    O 012.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 20
  • O 013.jpg
    O 013.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 21
  • O 014.jpg
    O 014.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 17
I do not have my references in front of me right now and I am sure that our European friends can enter specifics, but you have a WWI 50mm French pneumatic mortar projectile. I do have one reference that I recall that alludes to the rounds being air dropped, but they were not designed for that use.

Hello, I have seen a peroid photograph of an early WWI air plane with a rack containing 4 of these hanging by their tail fins to be dispensed by hand as needed. This was not their intended purpose but they were used in this way to some extent.
As stated above, This is a WWI Brandt Pneumatic morter round.

Obus de 60 mm pour mortier pneumatique Mle 1916

Here some doc of your projo.

Yoda

Attachments

• Fr Mo pneumatique 60 mm-01.JPG
    Fr Mo pneumatique 60 mm-01.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Fr Mo pneumatique 60 mm-02.JPG
    Fr Mo pneumatique 60 mm-02.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 23
helloff.png

Hello LOU and EODGUY

Here a "bocnlink" with explications & additional pictures

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/ww1-bomb-id-t75615.html

glouglou.gif

=========

Was told this was a WWI bomb dropped by hand from early planes?

Any help on propper ID and country of origin would be much appreciated...

aprox 57mm X 155mm tall Only marking is a D.

I do not have my references in front of me right now and I am sure that our European friends can enter specifics, but you have a WWI 50mm French pneumatic mortar projectile.
I do have one reference that I recall that alludes to the rounds being air dropped, but they were not designed for that use.

Thanks for the info guys. Next I guess is to try for a fuze and booster for it. It looks like the top section of this mortars booster was broken off and the booster tube is still inside the boby rolling around. Not sure how to get it fixed yet but a long soak in oil might get the tail to release or the broken remnent of booster to turn out.

And thanks for the avatar comments too guys,thats a rough draft of what I have planned. And the credit goes to Dave,,,,,,