What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missile demil

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Some time back I was allowed to play for a while with some local EOD guys at a demil facility in a former Warsaw Pact country. Thought you might enjoy some of the photos.

Attachments

• D-O-MSL-104.jpg
    D-O-MSL-104.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 180
  • D-O-MSL-102.jpg
    D-O-MSL-102.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 192
  • D-O-MSL-103.jpg
    D-O-MSL-103.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 183
  • D-O-MSL-120.jpg
    D-O-MSL-120.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 173
  • D-O-MSL-121.jpg
    D-O-MSL-121.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 172
  • D-O-MSL-124.jpg
    D-O-MSL-124.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 165
Containers

US-SUBs,

What suppose to be in the big containers on the fifth photo ???

Chris

@ Chris, SA-3 (Goa) missiles. The wings of the start/booster rocket are clipped on after removal from the container, The triangular wings cannot be removed, therefore the bulb in the container.

@ US -subs; what a waste to destroy those SA-8(b) Gecko's:tinysmile_cry_t4:, they could have been turned into very interesting cutaway models . An absolute bloody waste!!

Last edited:
@ Chris, SA-3 (Goa) missiles. The wings of the start/booster rocket are clipped on after removal from the container, The triangular wings cannot be removed, therefore the bulb in the container.

@ US -subs; what a waste to destroy those SA-8(b) Gecko's:tinysmile_cry_t4:, they could have been turned into very interesting cutaway models . An absolute bloody waste!!

There were other items that i would have liked much more. Some submunitions from some of the big missile systems which I've never had the chance to see, let alone play with. Unfortunately the task and situation would not allow me or them to clean anything to keep for history. Maybe next time.

There were other items that i would have liked much more. Some submunitions from some of the big missile systems which I've never had the chance to see, let alone play with. Unfortunately the task and situation would not allow me or them to clean anything to keep for history. Maybe next time.

vomit-smiley-004.gif

Hi US-subs, I was just able to lay my hands on a PLP:tinysmile_classes_t, so I've got one for my own collection now. At the moment I am very much interested in your current avator, the XM -53. If ever you have a "spare", please let me know. Do you have a cutaway drawing of the XM53? I am much interested in the workings and functioning of this AP submunition (No shaped charge I was told).
Regards, DJH

Ps; I just heard on the radio Washington is expected to get 75 cm of snow... a record since 1902 when they had 72 cm. How's the wheater over at your place?:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

DJ, I'm in Tokyo right now, getting ready to fly to a recovery site, so I have no idea what the weather is in MI. Not to bad here here though!

Don't remember if I have any spare Rook stuff or not, I'll have to dig when I get home to do taxes in April. If so it would only be the dummy body, I've only ever seen 1-2 of the complete ones with the impact plate. Then of coure there is also the half size, which was the toxic versions, the Umi and the Gumi. I don't make this stuff up, I just record it.

Hi,

I'm new to the site. What's an Umi and a Gumi?

As described in part in the above two posts, my current Avatar is the US developed XM53 Rook submunition. This was built by Chamberlain Manufacturing during the Vietnam War (joined in part by Aerojet Engineering), with development starting in the mid sixties and ceasing somtime around 1970-72. The submunitions were intended to be deployed from a specially designed 105mm carrier projectile, encased in a "cage" which slid into the deeply grooved walls of the projectile, to be ejected from the base of the projectile during flight.

The Rook was plagued with developmental problems, mostly related to difficulties with the fuze. The submunition is less than 2cm in diameter and not 4cm long, development of a reliable, safe fuze for a body that small and light was a technical difficulty. In the end there was reportedly an accident with the detonation of an un-fired projectile at YPG and the project was cancelled.

The Umi and Gummi were toxic versions of the Rook. Approximately half the normal length, the projectile could be loaded with twice as many, allowing for a greater diameter submunition pattern. Adding a toxin to the payload meant more casualties from smaller injuries, so no effectiveness would be lost with the use of the smaller munition.

This was an offshoot of the US DITA program, which died in the early 70s with new treaty obligations.

US Subs,

Thank you. I had heard of the XM53 but not the Umi or Gummi. Do any pictures/diagrams exist? What was the payload? Do they ever appear on the market for collectors to acquire?