What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missile ID help

Dazzz

Hi all, this is my first post!
Could anyone help ID this incomplete and empty missile? It was rescued from a scrap dealer over 30 years ago.
Thanks for any help, Daz

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 62
Sorry I can't help. All I can say is that it is not something that was used by the British army from 1979 onwards. That doesn't rule out the airforce and navy and my knowledge of non British systems is poor.

Looks like something crafted for display. Or maybe testing. No nozzle(s), welded fin sets. Maybe something used in firefighter training. Did some USN firefighting training on similar examples. Very cool missle, anyways.

Rick

I've posted this on another forum and had a lot of replies, starting with comments that it looked home made and poorly welded together. But after I got more pictures up some posters recognised it as parts of a missile, and what I thought was the front was the rear section. I had put the parts together backwards!
I believe the image below is how it should be.

Here are some more pictures
There are no welds on this it is all machined and screwed together. The larger fins and the tapered section are I believe magnesium, the smaller fins steel and main tube and trim tabs appear to be an aluminium alloy. The small fins would have been able to rotate but are now locked. This is light for its size, I can pick it up easily.
Following suggestions I found details of a missile Popsy B here. The front section looks very similar to these sections.
Daz

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 79
Whatever it may be it is definately an old design. Something curious though if you look at the pictures carefully. The smaller fins seem to be fitted to a small circular, possible movable/steering platform for its guidance.

Can't find an exact match but the French Matra line of rockets have a family resemblence of fins and tailcone.
Bill

The attached extract from the Joint Services Textbook of Guided Weapons might be of interest. Your example has the characteristics of the RTV1 but is slightly smaller.

RTV1.jpg