What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mk II Question

GAP01

Hi guys, newbie question. Can someone let me know if American Radiator Co. manufactured the MkII grenade? If so, would they have marked the body "A R". Thanks.

American Radiator Co. Buffalo, New York was defiantly involved in US Mark II Production from the beginning (1918) and I believe that A.R. was one of their markings.

American Radiator Co. Buffalo, New York was defiantly involved in US Mark II Production from the beginning (1918) and I believe that A.R. was one of their markings.

Thanks. The grenade body I have is marked A over R -- no periods. Here is a photo. The sheen is Kroil penetrating oil used to remove oxidation.
P1050993.jpg

Last edited:
I have (2) AR examples that are marked the same way, both are gray colored bodies with filling plugs in the base and I am guessing they were manufactured circa 1920's - mid 30's. I also have an unfinished AR Marked Body with holes and no threads in the fuze or filling plug area(s).

I have (2) AR examples that are marked the same way, both are gray colored bodies with filling plugs in the base and I am guessing they were manufactured circa 1920's - mid 30's. I also have an unfinished AR Marked Body with holes and no threads in the fuze or filling plug area(s).

My grenade is identical to the one you describe:unfinished gray body with holes but no threads! Do you think it was a dummy/practice grenade? I will post pix when I'm done cleaning it up.

Last edited:
AR made the casting of the grenade. Their mfg symbol can be found in one of the older Army SB on mfg markings