What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Model 1939

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Question ...

The museum has this mortar, at least the body of the mortar, that I identified as the French Model 1939. However the tail boom has been removed and a rifle grenade tail has been added. Now the museum has several items that came from Vietnam, and I suspect this might be one even though their records don't state as such.

Has anyone seen this modification done to this mortar before? I know in other conflicts we have seen mortar bodies used in rifle grenades, but I haven't seen this item. Thought I would share the images and see what others might know.

DIA is 50MM
Length: 166MM

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-188-2.JPG
    ICE-JV-188-2.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 21
  • ICE-JV-188-10.JPG
    ICE-JV-188-10.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 13
  • ICE-JV-188-11.JPG
    ICE-JV-188-11.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 11
  • ICE-JV-188-7.JPG
    ICE-JV-188-7.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 11
Hi Joe,

Could it be the french Model 48 rifle grenade rather than an mortar shell ?

FR_GRE_FLMLE48ter.jpg

On the drawing there are gas check bands, but I don't have any picture with... and I don't remember where this drawing is coming from. I'll try to find.

Regards,

S.

Joe,

I just uploaded the booklet in the download section. It's in the moderation queue for now.

Regards,

S.

Well .... I learn something new everyday. I think that is it.

Thank you ... and now we have some real pictures.

Joe

Not so pretty..... Came in a group of Vietnamese grenades that I got many years ago.

DSC_3330.jpg