What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

modern 25mm

Caracal

Hi

for which gun this 25mm is for?

what is a correct price for this one?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• DSC03823.jpg
    DSC03823.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC03822.JPG
    DSC03822.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 79
It has arrived! No headstamp and no primer, i guess it is an exposition model

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMGP1365.jpg
    IMGP1365.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 30
The U.S. rounds don't usually have a headstamp. Case info is printed on the case with black ink.

This round also comes with a depleted uranium dart.

The U.S. rounds don't usually have a headstamp. Case info is printed on the case with black ink.

This round also comes with a depleted uranium dart.

thanks for the informations, this is the first US modern round i got. I thought it was tungsten, but you say it is depleted uranium??

If you have any drawing that shows the inside please let me know!

Here is a pic on the side of the case, any idea of the meaning?

Attachments

• IMGP1367.jpg
    IMGP1367.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 36
There are two cartridges of APFSDS-T One has carbide core. Yours is most likely carbide core. The other is DU core, and they are only issued in serious battle applications.

Notice the velocities 4370 fps for the WC and 4659 fps for the DU!

By the way, these data sheets came from the manual on scribd that I told you about a few days ago. TM 43-0001-27

Attachments

• M791 Dwg.jpg
    M791 Dwg.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 27
  • M919 Dwg.jpg
    M919 Dwg.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 28
  • M919 Data.jpg
    M919 Data.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
thanks for the doc! but if you look well the drawing that matches my round is the DU one... i have the plastic cap, instead of the tungsten round which is not visible (solide body around the arrow)

Last edited:
Looking at those, I think I have the M791 round in my collection, but missing the plastic cover over the tip. I'll post a pic later when I get home.

ok but do you know if the tungsten version has too an aluminium nose on the arrow? what are the differences between the DU and tungsten arrows?

under the aluminium cap the arrow is darker, look at the pic i made, do you think it's not enough dark for a DU?

DU will oxidize to different colors due to the alloying elements that are combined with it. Richard Rhodes described pure Uranium as a plum purple. The Davey Crockett DU spotter projectiles are plum purple, whereas I have seen other DU penetrators that were a titanium color.

it seems titanium color under the aluminium, but maybe a bit clearer?

Attachments

• IMGP1365.jpg
    IMGP1365.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 15