What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modern grenade box restoration

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi. Ive just picked up this modern grenade box. The wood is dry and slightly discolored. Im tempted to give it a bit of a revamp with boiled linseed oil. What do you reckon? Cheers

Attachments

• k400 box.jpg
    k400 box.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 66
Adding linseed oil would not be "restoring" the box. It may make it look nice though.
I wouldn't do anything to it as from the photo it looks just like it would when it was delivered to troops in the field.

Hi. Thanks for your comment. I've decided to take your advice and leave it as it is. Cheers

Here is a thought for you. Is it in fact an old box from say the 1950s or 1960s that has been reused? I have a very similar one used for 1972 Mills grens dated 1966, almost identical in fact.

Andy

That is and interesting thought. There is no indication of the box having a previous life, but recycling is something that the Koreans have been known to do. Cheers